Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2024 03:27 PM
  • B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast

The Okanagan Indian Band in British Columbia's southern Interior says an out-of-control wildfire that has prompted evacuation orders and alerts has seen recent "slow" growth, but fire behaviour could intensify along with rising temperatures. 

A statement from the First Nation outside Vernon on Thursday says BC Wildfire Service personnel were working to maintain guards around the seven-square-kilometre Hullcar Mountain blaze while helicopters douse it with water.

The blaze is one of nine wildfires of note in the province, meaning the fires are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety and infrastructure.

The total number of active blazes across B.C. continues to hover at just under 350, with about 40 per cent classified as burning out of control.

The latest bulletin from the wildfire service says hot and dry conditions are expected to persist across most of B.C. through the weekend, raising the fire risk.

It says thunderstorms with lightning and minimal rain are also expected to increase the likelihood of new fire starts and intensify activity at existing fires. 

The Hullcar Mountain fire prompted evacuation orders earlier this week by the Spallumcheen Township, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District and Splatsin First Nation, while an evacuation alert has been issued by the Okanagan Indian Band.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned
Police in Nanaimo say a brazen theft of a 75-inch television from a Walmart in June was ill planned, with two suspects caught on video placing the large T-V on a car rooftop and holding it down with nothing but their hands. Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man and a woman, both in their 40s, now face theft charges after they were filmed driving off with the stolen T-V on the evening of June 8th.

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom
Surrey RCMP say they believe Verity Bolton, along with her father Robert and boyfriend Abraxus Glazov are living in trailers in a rural area after the woman failed to return the children to their father earlier this month. 

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver
The 70-year-old victim was crossing West Georgia Street at Cardero on July 22 at 9 a.m. when he was hit in the crosswalk by a dark blue Mini Cooper travelling east on West Georgia. The victim was taken to hospital where he remains in recovery.

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation
Khaled Hussein, who is 28, was charged under the Terrorism Act for allegedly being a member of a proscribed organization in the U.K. He was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport last week.

Edmonton man appears in U.K. court after terrorism investigation

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy
Amarjeet Sohi says $47.8 million is coming from the federal 2 Billion Trees program and the amount is being matched by the city. Sohi says the money will allow Edmonton to expand its tree-planting efforts and bring it closer to its goal of being a "healthy and climate-resilient city."

Edmonton mayor announces funding to plant 1.5 million trees, expand urban canopy

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November
The government is putting $156 million over three years toward a new three-digit suicide-prevention hotline, Mental Health Minister Carolyn Bennett announced Monday. Starting on Nov. 30, people in crisis will be able to dial 988 anywhere in Canada to be connected with trained responders 24 hours a day by phone or text message.

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November