Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Sep, 2023 01:45 PM
  • B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

British Columbia Health Minister Adrian Dix says the province is experiencing unusually high demand for emergency medical services — even before the cold-and-flu season begins — and the situation may be a "new normal."

Dix was meeting doctors and officials at Surrey Memorial Hospital this morning to update them on expanding the facility's emergency capacity, after complaints this year from workers that they lack resources to cope with the large number of incoming patients.

Dix says the province has progressed on a number of fronts since announcing 30 initiatives in June to address doctors' grievances, including posting 64 nursing positions at Surrey Memorial, implementing patient ambassadors to improve care, and hiring more than 100 foreign-trained nurses across B.C.

But he also says the situation needs time to improve, as there are currently about 9,700 people in B.C. emergency care, about 700 more than at similar times in years past.

Dix says that typically dips below 9,000 in the summer, but not this year, when it kept increasing, creating worries ahead of the fall-winter flu season when emergency demand spikes.

In May, Surrey Memorial's Medical Staff Association issued an open letter to management, criticizing their lack of “any tangible support” for overstretched emergency-room doctors and placing the health of Surrey residents in jeopardy.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. tribunal orders woman to pay for 'time theft

B.C. tribunal orders woman to pay for 'time theft
A tribunal has ordered a British Columbia accountant to pay her former employer more than $2,600 after a tracking software showed she engaged in "time theft" while working from home. The decision released this week by the Civil Resolution Tribunal shows the woman made a claim of $5,000 to cover unpaid wages and severance pay, arguing she had been fired without cause last March.

B.C. tribunal orders woman to pay for 'time theft

Toilet paper toxin found in endangered B.C. orcas

Toilet paper toxin found in endangered B.C. orcas
Dr. Juan José Alava, co-author of the study, said in an interview Thursday that the findings left him and other researchers “shocked and saddened.” He said the toxic chemical substances could affect killer whales’ hormone systems, disrupting physiological function and making them susceptible to diseases.    

Toilet paper toxin found in endangered B.C. orcas

Pandemic, social media at play in teen crimes

Pandemic, social media at play in teen crimes
Police said this week that a group of up to 10 teen girls allegedly assaulted several people at random at downtown Toronto subway stations on Dec. 17. Investigators have not confirmed whether the group is the same one that allegedly stabbed a homeless man who later died in hospital – those teens congregated after meeting on social media.

Pandemic, social media at play in teen crimes

B.C. announces $500 million renter protection fund

B.C. announces $500 million renter protection fund
Premier David Eby says the fund will allow non-profit groups to buy older buildings and protect renters from property speculators. Eby says in B.C. and across Canada older rental buildings are being purchased by property speculators and large corporations that redevelop the housing, evict the current tenants and either increase the rent or sell the units.    

B.C. announces $500 million renter protection fund

Canfor to close pulp line in Prince George, B.C.

Canfor to close pulp line in Prince George, B.C.
The shut down will result in a reduction of 280,000 tonnes of market kraft pulp annually. Canfor says the decision to close the pulp line at the Prince George mill came after an "extensive analysis" of its operations and the long-term supply of fibre in the area.

Canfor to close pulp line in Prince George, B.C.

3 Surrey homicide victims identified

3 Surrey homicide victims identified
On January 9, 2023, shortly after noon, Surrey RCMP attended a residence in the 15600-block of 112 Avenue. Upon arrival, officers discovered three deceased adults inside the home. The IHIT says the bodies of 56-year-old Xiao Yan Zhen, 58 year-old Li Li and their 24-year-old son, Daniel Li, were in the home.      

3 Surrey homicide victims identified