Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Sep, 2023 01:45 PM
  • B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

British Columbia Health Minister Adrian Dix says the province is experiencing unusually high demand for emergency medical services — even before the cold-and-flu season begins — and the situation may be a "new normal."

Dix was meeting doctors and officials at Surrey Memorial Hospital this morning to update them on expanding the facility's emergency capacity, after complaints this year from workers that they lack resources to cope with the large number of incoming patients.

Dix says the province has progressed on a number of fronts since announcing 30 initiatives in June to address doctors' grievances, including posting 64 nursing positions at Surrey Memorial, implementing patient ambassadors to improve care, and hiring more than 100 foreign-trained nurses across B.C.

But he also says the situation needs time to improve, as there are currently about 9,700 people in B.C. emergency care, about 700 more than at similar times in years past.

Dix says that typically dips below 9,000 in the summer, but not this year, when it kept increasing, creating worries ahead of the fall-winter flu season when emergency demand spikes.

In May, Surrey Memorial's Medical Staff Association issued an open letter to management, criticizing their lack of “any tangible support” for overstretched emergency-room doctors and placing the health of Surrey residents in jeopardy.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend
Drivers are reminded that the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will be closed in both directions starting on Thursday, April 6, at 10 p.m. and reopening on Tuesday, April 11, at 5 a.m. Drivers should take the Port Mann or Alex Fraser bridges as alternate routes. 

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges
On March 3rd of last year police were contacted about allegations involving a man and a child victim whom the accused had initially met online, and later met in-person. On March 9th,  following an extensive investigation, 39-year-old Adam Joseph Woolacott of Burnaby was charged with various sexual offences. 

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee
The man, who had unfortunately lost money to a so-called grandparent scam last summer, received a phone call from a person claiming to work for Burnaby RCMP Victim Services who said she could help him recover the lost funds. The scammer verbally provided the legitimate Burnaby RCMP Victim Services phone number to the senior as a callback number.

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer
Mulroney, 84, was prime minister from 1984 to 1993, as leader of the Progressive Conservatives. While in office he negotiated the first free trade agreement with the U.S., which later became NAFTA.

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour
A ministry statement says the wage increase matches B.C.'s 2022 average inflation rate and will benefit about 150,000 workers, most of them food service staff, grocery store workers, retail workers and others who were essential workers during the pandemic.

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking
Trudeau says it's heartbreaking that discoveries like these continue to happen. The Winnipeg homicide unit says it started an investigation after staff at the Brady Road landfill south of the city found the body of 33-year-old Linda Mary Beardy on Monday.

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking