Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Aug, 2024 09:47 AM
  • B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

The large wildfire that destroyed multiple homes in British Columbia's southern Interior last month is now considered "held."

BC Wildfire Service says the 280-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire is not likely to spread further, but crews still have hard work ahead.

A statement from the service online says smoke will remain visible from within the perimeter as crews use hand tools to dig out hot spots and turn over and wet down earth to remove heat from the fire.

The fire is still listed as one of four wildfires of note in the province, meaning they are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety and infrastructure.

Last week the Thompson Regional District lifted most of the remaining evacuation orders and alerts that were in place due to the Shetland Creek wildfire burning on the west side of the Thompson River.

The fire destroyed at least 20 structures including six homes in the Venables Valley in the days after it was first reported on July 12. 

The statement says the provincial wildfire service is grateful for firefighters from Australia, Ontario and the Northwest Territories who assisted in managing the fire.

The province's online dashboard says 165 ground personnel, 14 helicopters and 11 pieces of heavy equipment are currently assigned to the fire.

A provincewide situation update says wet weather is helping firefighters tackle some of the wildfires burning in the south of the province.

The update from the wildfire service says the southern half of the province is seeing cooler temperatures with rainy conditions pushing inland from the coast and that the increase in relative humidity is helping ease fire behaviour.

The statement says there is the potential for widespread thunderstorm activity across the central Interior, though any lightning strikes are expected to be accompanied by rain.

In the north, the statement says warm, dry conditions remain and people should be mindful of activities that could spark a new wildfire because the area will be susceptible to new ignitions.

The wildfire service says two helicopters were called in to help fight the Corya Creek wildfire about seven kilometres northwest of the Witset First Nation in northwest B.C.

The service says the fire is burning on steep terrain that is not safe for groundcrews, and while a structure defence plan is being developed as a precaution, it says there is currently no threat to the community or nearby infrastructure.

As of Sunday, the wildfire service listed 371 active fires in the province, including 13 that started in the last 24 hours.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey lifeguard charged with sexual interference

Surrey lifeguard charged with sexual interference
Mounties in Surrey are advising the public after an investigation led to sex offence charges against a 24-year-old man. Police say the man was a lifeguard at the City of Surrey Recreation Centre and has been charged with sexual interference, invitation to sexual touching and luring a child. 

Surrey lifeguard charged with sexual interference

B.C. files application for Canada's first unexplained wealth order, minister says

B.C. files application for Canada's first unexplained wealth order, minister says
British Columbia's solicitor general says the government has filed the first-ever application to secure an unexplained wealth order in Canada. Mike Farnworth says the notice of civil claim filed in B.C. Supreme Court is the start of a series of similar applications, which are powerful tools that "put those engaging in illegal activity on notice."

B.C. files application for Canada's first unexplained wealth order, minister says

India needs to take this seriously: Trudeau on US charge

India needs to take this seriously: Trudeau on US charge
Hours after the US charged an Indian national with conspiracy to assassinate a New York-based Sikh separatist, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that New Delhi needs to take the charge "seriously" and cooperate in the investigations. Trudeau, who had been claiming since September that Indian agents were involved in the killing of its citizen Hardeep Singh Nijjar, told CBC News that they have been working closely with their American counterparts on the "serious" allegations.

India needs to take this seriously: Trudeau on US charge

Indian-origin man among 12 arrested in Canada auto theft ring bust

Indian-origin man among 12 arrested in Canada auto theft ring bust
The Peel Regional Police said on Wednesday that nine stolen vehicles, valued at over $1.2 million, were seized and more than 81 charges were laid in the investigation, called Project Memphis. Rahul Bedi from Mississauga was charged for committing fraud worth $5,000 and trafficking stolen goods, and along with other accused, he attempted to defraud multiple financial and insurance institutions.

Indian-origin man among 12 arrested in Canada auto theft ring bust

B.C. Human Rights Commissioner examines care and rights of vulnerable adults in B.C.

B.C. Human Rights Commissioner examines care and rights of vulnerable adults in B.C.
The British Columbia law that allows certain agencies to take over the affairs of abused, neglected or incapacitated adults is under scrutiny by the province's human rights commissioner and B.C.'s seven health agencies have been ordered to assist. Commissioner Kasari Govender wants the agencies to provide data on detentions of vulnerable adults who have been in their care.

B.C. Human Rights Commissioner examines care and rights of vulnerable adults in B.C.

Google to pay $100M a year to Canadian news publishers in deal with Ottawa

Google to pay $100M a year to Canadian news publishers in deal with Ottawa
Ottawa has agreed to set a $100-million yearly cap on payments that Google will be required to make to media companies when the government's controversial online news legislation takes effect at the end of the year. The announcement Wednesday has the Liberals bending to the tech giant's demands after Google threatened back in February to remove news from its platform.

Google to pay $100M a year to Canadian news publishers in deal with Ottawa