Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Aug, 2024 09:47 AM
  • B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

The large wildfire that destroyed multiple homes in British Columbia's southern Interior last month is now considered "held."

BC Wildfire Service says the 280-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire is not likely to spread further, but crews still have hard work ahead.

A statement from the service online says smoke will remain visible from within the perimeter as crews use hand tools to dig out hot spots and turn over and wet down earth to remove heat from the fire.

The fire is still listed as one of four wildfires of note in the province, meaning they are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety and infrastructure.

Last week the Thompson Regional District lifted most of the remaining evacuation orders and alerts that were in place due to the Shetland Creek wildfire burning on the west side of the Thompson River.

The fire destroyed at least 20 structures including six homes in the Venables Valley in the days after it was first reported on July 12. 

The statement says the provincial wildfire service is grateful for firefighters from Australia, Ontario and the Northwest Territories who assisted in managing the fire.

The province's online dashboard says 165 ground personnel, 14 helicopters and 11 pieces of heavy equipment are currently assigned to the fire.

A provincewide situation update says wet weather is helping firefighters tackle some of the wildfires burning in the south of the province.

The update from the wildfire service says the southern half of the province is seeing cooler temperatures with rainy conditions pushing inland from the coast and that the increase in relative humidity is helping ease fire behaviour.

The statement says there is the potential for widespread thunderstorm activity across the central Interior, though any lightning strikes are expected to be accompanied by rain.

In the north, the statement says warm, dry conditions remain and people should be mindful of activities that could spark a new wildfire because the area will be susceptible to new ignitions.

The wildfire service says two helicopters were called in to help fight the Corya Creek wildfire about seven kilometres northwest of the Witset First Nation in northwest B.C.

The service says the fire is burning on steep terrain that is not safe for groundcrews, and while a structure defence plan is being developed as a precaution, it says there is currently no threat to the community or nearby infrastructure.

As of Sunday, the wildfire service listed 371 active fires in the province, including 13 that started in the last 24 hours.

MORE National ARTICLES

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum
The B-C government says it will launch a website to seek public input on a new museum that would highlight the history, culture and contributions of South Asian heritages in the province.  Lana Popham, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says public input, especially from South Asian communities, is vital to creating a first-of-its-kind museum.

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes
The City of Penticton says it has temporarily evacuated 24 properties in a mobile home park over fears of a potential rock slide. The city says it was notified on Tuesday morning about a large rock that may break off a cliff, and a geotechnical engineer's review prompted the evacuation of the properties in the Pleasant Valley Mobile Home Park.   

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes

2nd degree murder charge laid in death of 18 year old Mehakpreet Sethi

2nd degree murder charge laid in death of 18 year old Mehakpreet Sethi
A second-degree murder charge has been laid in the death of an 18-year-old outside a Surrey high school last year. Homicide investigators say an 18-year-old man has been charged, but his name won’t be released because he was a youth at the time of the death.

2nd degree murder charge laid in death of 18 year old Mehakpreet Sethi

B.C. unfairly clawed back COVID-19 benefit to thousands during pandemic, says report

B.C. unfairly clawed back COVID-19 benefit to thousands during pandemic, says report
Thousands of people in British Columbia saw their $1,000 tax-free COVID-19 benefit unfairly clawed back by the provincial government, says an ombudsperson report. So far, 12,000 people have been told to repay their B.C. Emergency Benefit that the government said was for workers who had been affected by the pandemic, Ombudsperson Jay Chalke said Tuesday. 

B.C. unfairly clawed back COVID-19 benefit to thousands during pandemic, says report

Federal government posts $8.2 billion deficit between April and September this year

Federal government posts $8.2 billion deficit between April and September this year
The federal government recorded a budgetary deficit of $8.2 billion between April and September, $3.9 billion of which was in September.  The finance department says in its monthly fiscal monitor that the deficit between April and September compared to a surplus of $1.7 billion during the same period last year. 

Federal government posts $8.2 billion deficit between April and September this year

Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract

Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract
Nearly 300 Rogers Communications workers have voted strongly in favour of a new contract, ending a company lockout that began two weeks ago. The United Steelworkers union Local 1944, Unit 60, says in a statement that its members voted 96 per cent in favour of ratifying the tentative agreement reached last Friday.

Locked out Rogers Communications workers in B.C. ratify five-year contract