Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Paragliding accident in North Okanagan

Paragliding accident in North Okanagan
A statement from Vernon-North Okanagan RCMP say the 63-year-old victim was an experienced paraglider. He had just taken off from a flight school near Lumby when police say he "suddenly and unexpectedly collided with the ground."  

Paragliding accident in North Okanagan

Hiker dies in West Vancouver

Hiker dies in West Vancouver
A hiker has died after plunging more than 60 metres from a path in Cypress Creek Canyon in West Vancouver. Police say the man -- in his 70s -- was hiking with a large group when he fell.

Hiker dies in West Vancouver

B.C. cargo flow should be back to normal in days after port strike, says researcher

B.C. cargo flow should be back to normal in days after port strike, says researcher
The union, which represents 7,400 workers in the job action that began July 1, has not yet commented on the pact. Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan said Thursday that the strike that had snarled trade worth billions was over and thanked both sides.  

B.C. cargo flow should be back to normal in days after port strike, says researcher

19-year-old firefighter who died in B.C. is identified by her brother

19-year-old firefighter who died in B.C. is identified by her brother
The firefighter was working on brush-clearing in a remote area where a fire had started. Her team found her pinned under a fallen tree and began first aid, but she succumbed to her injuries after being airlifted to a hospital in Revelstoke.  

19-year-old firefighter who died in B.C. is identified by her brother

Mission stabbing victim dies of his injuries

Mission stabbing victim dies of his injuries
On Thursday, at 6:13 p.m., the Mission RCMP were called to the area of the 32500-block of Lougheed Highway. Upon arrival, officers discovered a 42-year old man, suffering from a stab wound. The victim was transported to a local hospital, where sadly, he succumbed to his injuries.  

Mission stabbing victim dies of his injuries

Sextortion on the rise in Kelowna

Sextortion on the rise in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna are warning about an increase of so-called sextortion targeting boys between the ages of 14 and 17. They say the victims often receive friend requests through popular social media sites, and engage in flirtatious conversations.  

Sextortion on the rise in Kelowna