Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home
Two people in Nanaimo are unhurt but their home has smoke damage after what R-C-M-P say was a suspicious fire. It happened early yesterday morning south of Nanaimo in the Cinnabar Valley neighbourhood.

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior
The BC Wildfire Service is reporting more than 300 fires, with 87 spotted in the last 24 hours and almost 200 of the total number ranked as out of control.  B.C.'s wildfire danger was high to extreme across all but small pockets of the province on Monday.  

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia
The two countries have signed a "road map" outlining the process. The document sets out three phases for the work, which will eventually involve as many as 2,200 persistently deployed Canadian troops plus the ability to add hundreds of additional Armed Forces members as needed. It states that brigade buildup will be completed in 2025, and that Latvia will work to build new infrastructure.

Trudeau says Canada will more than double military presence in Latvia

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection
A shooting in downtown Toronto that sent two people to hospital with serious injuries Monday morning could be the result of road rage following street racing, police said as they worked to identify those responsible. Toronto police said they were called to 7 Charles Street West, just one block south of Toronto's busy Yonge and Bloor intersection, just after 6 a.m. for what they described as a drive-by shooting.

Two injured in possible road-rage shooting near busy downtown Toronto intersection

Surrey shooting leaves one dead

Surrey shooting leaves one dead
On Sunday at approximately 5:07 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to a shooting in an alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street that has left one man deceased. Police are investigating whether a burnt out vehicle located a short time later in the area of 8200-block of 151A Street is connected to the homicide.  

Surrey shooting leaves one dead

Impasse at strikebound B.C. ports not broken by Saturday's round of negotiations

Impasse at strikebound B.C. ports not broken by Saturday's round of negotiations
Hundreds of supporters showed up to a rally in Vancouver backing striking B-C port workers. Speakers from as far away as Australia and New Zealand offered support for the thousands of workers who have been off the job since Canada Day.

Impasse at strikebound B.C. ports not broken by Saturday's round of negotiations