Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

29 per cent of those surveyed broke COVID-19 rules

29 per cent of those surveyed broke COVID-19 rules
Almost 30 per cent of respondents in a newly released Canada-wide survey admitted to breaking COVID-19 rules — and felt justified doing so.

29 per cent of those surveyed broke COVID-19 rules

Record B.C. heat cancels classes, threatens crops

Record B.C. heat cancels classes, threatens crops
Heat warnings remain posted across B.C. and Alberta, large parts of Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and a section of Yukon as the weather office forecasts temperatures reaching 40 C in some areas.

Record B.C. heat cancels classes, threatens crops

Lytton, B.C., breaks 1937 Canadian heat record

Lytton, B.C., breaks 1937 Canadian heat record
The temperature in a village in British Columbia's southern Interior reached a scorching 46.1 C Sunday afternoon, marking a new all-time high recorded in Canada. The reading from Environment Canada in Lytton showed the mercury surpassed the previous record of 45 C set in Saskatchewan in 1937.

Lytton, B.C., breaks 1937 Canadian heat record

Officer no longer working for defence minister

Officer no longer working for defence minister
A reserve military officer who was ordered suspended from the Vancouver police three years ago for an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate is no longer working for Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.

Officer no longer working for defence minister

Canadians 'may be affected' by condo collapse

Canadians 'may be affected' by condo collapse
The department says Canadian consular officials in Miami are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and they are also in touch with the affected families.

Canadians 'may be affected' by condo collapse

Trudeau resists calls to fire Carolyn Bennett

Trudeau resists calls to fire Carolyn Bennett
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is resisting calls to fire Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett over a text message he acknowledges was "wrong" and "hurtful" and harmed his government's progress on reconciliation.

Trudeau resists calls to fire Carolyn Bennett