Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:44 AM
  • Bloc says unvaccinated Tory MPs should 'stay home'

OTTAWA - Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet says the next session of Parliament should happen in person with any members who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 staying home.

Questions remain about what the return to Parliament will look like for Canada's 338 representatives after the recent federal election saw the Liberals re-elected to a minority government.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he will name his cabinet next month and Parliament will resume sometime in the fall.

The House of Commons and committees had been functioning with some MPs working from Ottawa, but many others appearing virtually, including to vote, before the election was called.

Blanchet says he wants to see Parliament resume with MPs having to be there in person because now vaccines against the novel coronavirus are more widely available.

His party, along with the New Democrats and Liberals, made it a rule that candidates had to be fully vaccinated in order to hit the doorsteps, but the Conservatives did not.

"They get fully vaccinated or they stay home," Blanchet said on Wednesday.

"Parliament should not come back under any kind of hybrid formation … now we know that we can go on with the way this building is supposed to work, and we should not refrain from doing so because a few persons don't believe that the vaccine works. This belongs to another century."

The Conservatives saw 119 incumbent MPs and new candidates elected.

Leader Erin O'Toole refused to say on the campaign trail whether he knew how many of those running for the Tories had been fully vaccinated, saying he told campaign teams that those who are not immunized against COVID-19 should take daily rapid tests.

O'Toole is himself vaccinated and has been encouraging others to get their shot. The Conservative leader says he also respects the personal health choices of Canadians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept 29, 2021.

MORE National ARTICLES

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai
IHIT says 33 year old  Parminder Rai a Burnaby resident was reported missing by his family on June 9. He is known to police and has possible gang connections.

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai

Report on grocery pay finds cartel-like practices

Report on grocery pay finds cartel-like practices
The report comes a year after Canada's big three grocers — Loblaw Companies Ltd., Metro Inc. and Sobeys parent company Empire Company Ltd. — all cut temporary pandemic-related pay bonuses within a day of each other last June.

Report on grocery pay finds cartel-like practices

Commons committee calls for overhaul of EI system

Commons committee calls for overhaul of EI system
Today's report also asks whether special benefits, such as maternity and parental leave, should be hived off into their own program, and recommends extending sickness benefits to 50 weeks.    

Commons committee calls for overhaul of EI system

Ottawa pledges $115 million in aid for Venezuelans

Ottawa pledges $115 million in aid for Venezuelans
The continued departure of refugees and migrants from Venezuela is one of the largest external displacement crises in the world with over 5.6 million people leaving the country in the last few years according to the UN refugee agency.

Ottawa pledges $115 million in aid for Venezuelans

Canada accepting 1M Moderna doses from U.S.

Canada accepting 1M Moderna doses from U.S.
Canada will receive a donation of 1 million doses of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine from the United States today. The doses are part of the U.S. promise to donate 80 million doses of vaccines by the end of June.

Canada accepting 1M Moderna doses from U.S.

Freeze promotions for top brass: Committee

Freeze promotions for top brass: Committee
The request is one of several from the House of Commons committee on the status of women, which recently finished a months-long study of military sexual misconduct sparked by allegations against several senior commanders.

Freeze promotions for top brass: Committee