Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bodies found inside burning home near Halifax

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2015 10:30 AM

    HALIFAX — The RCMP says a man has been arrested in connection with a fatal house fire in Halifax Wednesday in which at least two people died.

    Police and firefighters were still at the scene of the blaze early Thursday, waiting to enter the structure to determine if more victims were inside.

    RCMP Cpl. Karine Bernier earlier said a third person was unaccounted for.

    She said a man was taken into custody at about 12:45 a.m. after he rammed two police vehicles with his car in the Milford area, about a half-hour drive from the scene.

    Bernier said no officers were injured in the incident, which she said was linked to the fire. Police had not yet released the man's name or age.

    Firefighters and police were still waiting to gain access to the burning home north of Halifax early Thursday.

    Halifax Regional Municipality spokesman Brendan Elliott said via email that there were still hot spots in the house preventing crews from doing a safe and secure search.

    "At this point all I can say is at least two bodies have been discovered," Elliott said.

    The region said fire and emergency crews were sent to the home on Old Guysborough Road around 4:30 p.m. and the first truck arrived at the scene at 4:55 p.m.

    In all, 30 firefighters from seven fire stations responded to the fire near Wyses Corner, where the home was engulfed in flames.

    The home is in a rural, wooded area about 25 kilometres northeast of Halifax Stanfield International Airport and not far from Dollar Lake Provincial Park.

    Elliott said one problem in fighting the fire was is a metal roof which kept the interior of the house extremely hot. Also, there was no natural way for the fire to ventilate out of the top of the house.

    Photo Courtesy- CTV News

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ottawa Promises New Wireless Spectrum Measures To Attract New Carriers

    Ottawa Promises New Wireless Spectrum Measures To Attract New Carriers
    VANCOUVER — The federal government has announced new details about its plans to auction off wireless spectrum as it attempts to entice new mobile carriers to enter the market and bring down prices for cellular phone users.

    Ottawa Promises New Wireless Spectrum Measures To Attract New Carriers

    Burnaby Seeks To Force Pipeline Company To Pay For Cleanup, Policing

    Burnaby Seeks To Force Pipeline Company To Pay For Cleanup, Policing
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver-area city is asking the National Energy Board to hand Kinder Morgan a bill that could be worth more than $2 million for policing and cleanup costs after pipeline work was targeted by protesters last month.

    Burnaby Seeks To Force Pipeline Company To Pay For Cleanup, Policing

    Residents To Vote On 'Congestion' Tax To Fund Metro Vancouver Transit Upgrades

    Residents To Vote On 'Congestion' Tax To Fund Metro Vancouver Transit Upgrades
    VICTORIA — Residents of Metro Vancouver will be asked to agree to pay an extra 0.5 per cent sales tax after the province approved a plebiscite on funding major upgrades to the regional transportation network.

    Residents To Vote On 'Congestion' Tax To Fund Metro Vancouver Transit Upgrades

    B.C. Reports Call For Crime-fighting Boss, Job Training For Inmates

    B.C. Reports Call For Crime-fighting Boss, Job Training For Inmates
    VICTORIA — British Columbia needs to appoint a crime-fighting boss who can cut through provincial, municipal and social bureaucracies to build unified crime-prevention teams, say government reports released Thursday.

    B.C. Reports Call For Crime-fighting Boss, Job Training For Inmates

    B.C. Mine Inspector Gives Ok For Mount Polley Dam Rebuild After Tailings Breach

    B.C. Mine Inspector Gives Ok For Mount Polley Dam Rebuild After Tailings Breach
    VICTORIA — British Columbia's chief inspector of mines is allowing the owner of the Mount Polley mine to start repairs on the tailings pond that breached, sending a surge of mine waste and water into nearby lakes and rivers.

    B.C. Mine Inspector Gives Ok For Mount Polley Dam Rebuild After Tailings Breach

    Ghiz reiterates he won't run for the federal Liberals in 2015

    Ghiz reiterates he won't run for the federal Liberals in 2015
    QUEBEC — Prince Edward Island Premier Robert Ghiz is again ruling out running for the federal Liberals in next year's election.

    Ghiz reiterates he won't run for the federal Liberals in 2015