Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bodies found inside burning home near Halifax

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2015 10:30 AM

    HALIFAX — The RCMP says a man has been arrested in connection with a fatal house fire in Halifax Wednesday in which at least two people died.

    Police and firefighters were still at the scene of the blaze early Thursday, waiting to enter the structure to determine if more victims were inside.

    RCMP Cpl. Karine Bernier earlier said a third person was unaccounted for.

    She said a man was taken into custody at about 12:45 a.m. after he rammed two police vehicles with his car in the Milford area, about a half-hour drive from the scene.

    Bernier said no officers were injured in the incident, which she said was linked to the fire. Police had not yet released the man's name or age.

    Firefighters and police were still waiting to gain access to the burning home north of Halifax early Thursday.

    Halifax Regional Municipality spokesman Brendan Elliott said via email that there were still hot spots in the house preventing crews from doing a safe and secure search.

    "At this point all I can say is at least two bodies have been discovered," Elliott said.

    The region said fire and emergency crews were sent to the home on Old Guysborough Road around 4:30 p.m. and the first truck arrived at the scene at 4:55 p.m.

    In all, 30 firefighters from seven fire stations responded to the fire near Wyses Corner, where the home was engulfed in flames.

    The home is in a rural, wooded area about 25 kilometres northeast of Halifax Stanfield International Airport and not far from Dollar Lake Provincial Park.

    Elliott said one problem in fighting the fire was is a metal roof which kept the interior of the house extremely hot. Also, there was no natural way for the fire to ventilate out of the top of the house.

    Photo Courtesy- CTV News

    MORE National ARTICLES

    'Focused, Consistent' Financial Education Program Needed In Schools: Money Guru

    'Focused, Consistent' Financial Education Program Needed In Schools: Money Guru
    TORONTO — Educators across Canada are increasingly seeing the value of teaching kids the basics of money management at a young age, but some experts warn the patchwork of programs being offered in schools can only go so far in helping students avoid major money pitfalls down the line.

    'Focused, Consistent' Financial Education Program Needed In Schools: Money Guru

    Food Fight In Ottawa Feeds Hope That North's Hunger Pains Will Eventually Ease

    Food Fight In Ottawa Feeds Hope That North's Hunger Pains Will Eventually Ease
    IQALUIT, Nunavut — The line-up for Iqaluit's soup kitchen stretches out the door, down a flight of wooden steps and onto the icy street. Dozens of people wait patiently in -40 C cold, braced against the gusting shards of wind.

    Food Fight In Ottawa Feeds Hope That North's Hunger Pains Will Eventually Ease

    Man's Body Discovered In A Burning Truck In B.C.'s Okanagan, RCMP Investigating

    Man's Body Discovered In A Burning Truck In B.C.'s Okanagan, RCMP Investigating
    KELOWNA, B.C. — The RCMP and the coroner are investigating after a man's body was discovered in a burning truck in B.C.'s Okanagan, though police don't suspect foul play.

    Man's Body Discovered In A Burning Truck In B.C.'s Okanagan, RCMP Investigating

    15-Year-Old Dario Bartol Killed In Group Assault In Surrey

    15-Year-Old Dario Bartol Killed In Group Assault In Surrey
    The Integrated Homicide Investigations Team says officers are looking for witnesses to the altercation overnight Saturday that fatally injured Dario Bartoli.

    15-Year-Old Dario Bartol Killed In Group Assault In Surrey

    Disaster Relief Funds Available To 31 B.C. Communities To Cover Flooding Damage

    Disaster Relief Funds Available To 31 B.C. Communities To Cover Flooding Damage
    VICTORIA — Financial relief is being offered to residents of 31 B.C. communities after major flooding swept through the south coast over the past week.

    Disaster Relief Funds Available To 31 B.C. Communities To Cover Flooding Damage

    Ontario's Jennifer Pan Found Guilty In Attack On Her Parents

    Ontario's Jennifer Pan Found Guilty In Attack On Her Parents
    NEWMARKET, Ont. — A woman convicted of orchestrating a phoney home invasion that left her mother dead and father seriously injured wept as a Toronto-area jury handed down its verdict on Saturday after a lengthy trial.

    Ontario's Jennifer Pan Found Guilty In Attack On Her Parents