Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Cannabis oils and softgels recalled due to intoxicating ingredients: Heath Canada

Cannabis oils and softgels recalled due to intoxicating ingredients: Heath Canada
Health Canada has announced a recall of several cannabis oils and softgels because they may contain unexpected amounts of THC and HHC. The agency says both ingredients are intoxicants and could pose a danger to consumers. 

Cannabis oils and softgels recalled due to intoxicating ingredients: Heath Canada

Worker killed by two polar bears

Worker killed by two polar bears
A worker has died after being attacked by two polar bears off the eastern coast of Baffin Island in Nunavut. The Nasittuq Corporation says in a statement that employees responded to the attack Thursday at its work site on Brevoort Island.

Worker killed by two polar bears

Langley RCMP officer hit by vehicle

Langley RCMP officer hit by vehicle
Police in Langley say one of their officers has been taken to hospital after being struck by a vehicle whose driver fled the scene. RCMP say an officer was conducting traffic enforcement when the crash occurred on Friday.

Langley RCMP officer hit by vehicle

Stabbings at a Surrey party overnight

Stabbings at a Surrey party overnight
Police in Surrey are appealing for information after stabbings at a party overnight. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing at a "large" party on Loughren Drive, a residential area near the Port Mann Bridge, at about 12:30 a-m.

Stabbings at a Surrey party overnight

Scams targeting Chinese community in Vancouver result in millions lost, police say

Scams targeting Chinese community in Vancouver result in millions lost, police say
Police in Vancouver are warning about three scams that are targeting the Chinese community after victims reported losing nearly $6 million this year.  They are investigating 26 files since Jan. 1, but investigators believe there are more victims who haven't come forward. 

Scams targeting Chinese community in Vancouver result in millions lost, police say

Body of missing hiker found after three-day search in western Alberta

Body of missing hiker found after three-day search in western Alberta
Mounties say the body of a hiker has been found after a three-day search in western Alberta. They say the death isn't believed to be criminal.

Body of missing hiker found after three-day search in western Alberta