Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes
British Columbia's minister of emergency management is scheduled to give an update on the wildfire situation today as some areas in the province cool off while others flare. Bowinn Ma and Forests Minister Bruce Ralston will be joined by staff from the province to give an overview of the wildfire trouble spots in B.C. 

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives
BC United Leader Kevin Falcon is losing a third member of the legislature to the Conservative Party of British Columbia. BC United's director of communications Adam Wilson says in a statement that Teresa Wat, who represents the riding of Richmond North Centre, has indicated her intention to join John Rustad's B.C. Conservatives.

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze
Parks Canada officials and politicians angrily denied Monday that forest management policies in Jasper National Park contributed to a catastrophic wildfire that damaged one-third of the townsite. Ron Hallman, CEO of the federal agency, said it was "ridiculous" to assert his organization puts a higher value on nature than people.

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office
The Coalition Against Workplace Discrimination obtained the report using the Access to Information Act. It details barriers for employees of colour at the Privy Council Office, the administrative arm of government that serves the Prime Minister's Office and cabinet. The conclusions were based on group discussions and interviews with employees in 2021 and 2022.

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines
WestJet and Whitehorse-based Air North have announced a new agreement that will allow single-ticket travel across both airlines' networks. A statement from WestJet says the new "interline agreement" allows passengers to book a single ticket with a connected itinerary between WestJet's network and the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'
Mark Jennings-Bates, with the Kaslo Search and Rescue, says a skilled helicopter pilot was able to navigate the winds and thick smoke to rescue the hikers from the side of an alpine lake. He says the four were well prepared and used an iPhone's emergency SOS feature to provide rescuers with their precise location.

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'