Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. pledges support for court challenge over equalization, mulls its own claim

B.C. pledges support for court challenge over equalization, mulls its own claim
David Eby says there are differences in the legal arguments B.C. would make, but the two provinces are united in the goal of reversing what he described as "perverse outcomes" from the equalization program for B.C. and Newfoundland taxpayers.

B.C. pledges support for court challenge over equalization, mulls its own claim

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption
Health Minister Mark Holland says he's trying to convince U.S. authorities that Canadian dogs should be allowed to cross the border without restrictions.  The Centers for Disease Control is imposing new rules on Aug. 1 aimed at stopping the spread of rabies. 

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says applications are now open for a national transit fund that will include money for existing transit systems so they can expand, improve and modernize. The $30-billion, 10-year Canada Public Transit Fund has been in the works for months and was in the recent federal budget.

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Man dies in Abbotsford prison
A man serving a second-degree murder sentence has died in an Abbotsford prison. Correctional Service of Canada says in a statement that Eugene Raymond Benoit died while in custody at the Abbotsford Regional Treatment Centre.

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby
Premier David Eby says working with the federal government can sometimes feel like beating his head against a wall. Eby is in Halifax for a meeting of Canada's premiers, where he told a news conference that he's disappointed in the lack of teamwork with Ottawa.

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing
A 52-year-old Nanaimo man was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after an early morning stabbing last Friday. R-C-M-P say it happened along Fitzwilliam Street in downtown Nanaimo, and the victim was not co-operative with investigators. 

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing