Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Border measures aimed at responding to Trump's tariff threat begin to take effect

Immigration measures announced as part of Canada's border response to president-elect Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat are starting to be implemented, beginning with a ban on what's known as "flagpoling."

This is when someone who was in Canada on a temporary visa leaves for the U.S. then quickly re-enters Canada to access immigration services at a port of entry. 

The restriction on providing work and study permits to flagpolers takes effect today.

Last week, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said that going forward temporary visa holders will have to apply online to extend their stay in Canada. 

The Canadian Border Services Agency processed more than 69,300 people who engaged in flagpoling in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. 

There are still rare exceptions where a person will be granted a work or study permit even though they meet the definition of flagpoling, including international truck drivers with a work permit, professionals under certain free trade agreements and American citizens.

Miller first announced the plan to ban the practice on Dec. 17, alongside Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc who promised a border control package worth $1.3 billion. 

This includes removing the point value for having a job offer in Canada's express entry immigration system. The stated goal of this change is to reduce and prevent immigration fraud. 

In a social media post, Miller said this will take effect in the spring and that it will be a temporary measure. 

A broader review of the express entry program is being conducted, and a future decision on the value of a job offer in that system will be made at that time. 

A labour market impact assessment, a key document required for an employer to hire a foreign worker, is currently worth 50 to 200 points in the express entry system. 

Applicants are not supposed to pay for these, but a black market has emerged where people are charging tens of thousands of dollars for these documents. 

Applications that are already in progress won't be affected once this change takes effect. 

Miller also said the government is looking at ways to streamline Canada's asylum system at that Dec. 17 press conference. This includes exploring options to "quickly deal with" illegitimate claims. 

The government's broader border measures plan to respond to Trump's 25 per cent tariff threat also includes enhanced aerial surveillance and drug detection efforts.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work
British Columbia has finalized regulations to provide a minimum-wage and basic protections for ride-hailing and delivery workers using app-based platforms such as Uber, DoorDash and SkipTheDishes. The Ministry of Labour says in a statement the regulations that will take effect on Sept. 3 are a first in Canada.

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes
A cool and wet spring in parts of British Columbia has helped suppress fire activity, but an expected turn in the weather will likely renew wildfire risk this summer. BC Wildfire Service lead forecaster Matt MacDonald says blazes across the province have burned about 300,000 hectares so far this year.

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force
Locke raised a white flag this week at a council meeting, saying she is disappointed but accepts the outcome of last month's B.C. Supreme Court judicial review that said the province can order the transition to the Surrey Police Service to continue.

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway
Police say a motorcyclist is dead in a crash Wednesday that snarled morning traffic for Metro Vancouver commuters. Police say the truck driver didn't remain at the scene of the crash on Highway 99 near the George Massey Tunnel in Delta, B.C. 

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway
The driver injured when a rock crashed through her vehicle's windshield last week on a Metro Vancouver highway has died. BC Highway Patrol Cpl. Melissa Jongema confirmed that the vehicle's 34-year-old female driver has died of her injuries after the crash on June 6. 

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef
Vancouver police have arrested and charged a 32-year-old man in the stabbing death of a Japanese restaurant chef near the city's Chinatown last week. Police say Timothy Isborn faces a second-degree murder charge following their six-day investigation.

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef