Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Border officer denies RCMP asked for Meng's codes

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Nov, 2020 01:01 AM
  • Border officer denies RCMP asked for Meng's codes

The border officer who led Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou's immigration exam before her arrest at Vancouver's airport says he doesn't believe RCMP asked him to collect the passcodes to her phones.

Sowmith Katragadda told an evidence-gathering hearing in Meng's B.C. Supreme Court extradition case he couldn't recall where the idea came from.

Meng's lawyers are collecting information they hope will bolster their allegation that Canadian officials gathered evidence improperly during her arrest in 2018 at the request of American officials under the guise of a routine immigration exam.

Meng is wanted in the United States on fraud charges based on allegations related to U.S. sanctions against Iran that both she and Huawei deny.

Katragadda has told the court that he asked another officer to collect the passcodes from Meng but didn't know if the request to collect the codes was his idea or one of his supervisors.

One of Meng's lawyers, Mona Duckett, suggested to Katragadda that RCMP officers, who were waiting in his supervisors' office to arrest Meng, asked him to do so.

Katragadda was in the same office when he asked his colleague by radio to collect the codes, court has heard.

"It was in fact the RCMP in the superintendents' office who asked you to get the passcodes, isn't it?" Duckett asked Katragadda during cross-examination.

"I do not believe so," Katragadda said.

The passcodes were passed to RCMP along with Meng's electronic devices by mistake, court has heard.

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal deficit hits $148.6B through July

Federal deficit hits $148.6B through July
The result compared with a deficit of $1.6 billion for the same period in the 2019-2020 fiscal year.

Federal deficit hits $148.6B through July

PM 'disappointed' by RCMP mask policy

PM 'disappointed' by RCMP mask policy
The World Sikh Organization of Canada says officers have been placed on desk duty for almost six months, as the RCMP found the N100 mask does not seal with facial hair.

PM 'disappointed' by RCMP mask policy

Forces nears end to long search for rescue planes

Forces nears end to long search for rescue planes
The unveiling at Canadian Forces Base Comox, B.C., follows more than 15 years of controversy and start-stop effort to buy replacements for the ancient Buffalo and older-model Hercules aircraft used by the military to save Canadians every year.

Forces nears end to long search for rescue planes

Mistrial declared in N.L. cop's sex assault trial

Mistrial declared in N.L. cop's sex assault trial
Const. Carl Douglas Snelgrove of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary was facing his second trial for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman he had driven home in his police vehicle in 2014.

Mistrial declared in N.L. cop's sex assault trial

Corruption charges stayed against Normandeau

Corruption charges stayed against Normandeau
Quebec court Judge Andre Perreault ruled today that there had been unreasonable delays in getting the case to trial.

Corruption charges stayed against Normandeau

Mounties arrest an arson suspect

Mounties arrest an arson suspect
A 26-year-old man from Chilliwack remains in custody on an unrelated warrant of arrest.

Mounties arrest an arson suspect