Tuesday, May 24, 2022
ADVT 
National

Bus company charged in deadly Icefield crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2022 05:26 PM
  • Bus company charged in deadly Icefield crash

JASPER, ALBERTA - A tour bus operator has been charged in a deadly rollover at the Columbia Icefield in Jasper National Park nearly two years ago and more charges could be on the way.

The Alberta government said Friday that Brewster Inc. faces eight charges under the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act related to use and maintenance of seatbelts, failing to control hazards and failing to ensure equipment was in safe operating condition.

Three people were killed and 14 others had life-threatening injuries after the big-wheel red-and-white Ice Explorer lost control on the road to the Athabasca Glacier, about 100 kilometres southeast of Jasper, Alta., on July 18, 2020.

The bus with 27 people on board rolled about 50 metres down a moraine embankment before coming to rest on its roof.

Tours of the Icefield resumed last year. The tour bus operator said seatbelts had been added to the buses, and changes to driver training and road maintenance have been made.

Pursuit, the company that runs the Icefield bus tours, said in an emailed statement that it can't comment on specifics of the case because of legal proceedings.

"We continue to support a transparent and multi-agency investigation into this tragic accident," it said.

The case is to be in provincial court in Jasper on June 23.

A final RCMP report into the rollover has not been publicly released but was submitted to Alberta prosecutors in April.

The Crown will determine if the evidence warrants any criminal charges.

"The RCMP is aware of the charges that resulted from Alberta Occupational Health and Safety’s separate investigation. The RCMP have shared all requested investigative material gathered during the criminal investigation with the Ministry of Labour and Immigration as required by the Alberta OHS Act," the RCMP said in a release.

"The RCMP’s criminal investigation is independent, separate and parallel to the OHS investigation."

The RCMP said it will provide a further update to victims and families when the outcome of the criminal investigation can be shared.

There have been two civil lawsuits filed on behalf of people on the bus that day. Some plaintiffs have expressed concern about the delay in finding out what happened.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alert Ready for extreme heat due in June: minister

Alert Ready for extreme heat due in June: minister

Alert Ready is a tool used by governments across the country to broadcast warnings on radio and television stations, as well as compatible wireless devices.

Alert Ready for extreme heat due in June: minister

Burnaby RCMP looking to identify suspect after indecent act near Lougheed Highway and Gaglardi Way

Burnaby RCMP looking to identify suspect after indecent act near Lougheed Highway and Gaglardi Way

On Thursday, May 12, Burnaby RCMP received a report that a driver was seen masturbating inside a vehicle while at a red light beside a westbound 136 bus on Lougheed Highway near Gaglardi Way around 3:55 p.m. A teenage victim on the bus took video of the suspect, which has been provided to police.

 

 

Burnaby RCMP looking to identify suspect after indecent act near Lougheed Highway and Gaglardi Way

Man exposes himself to woman in a park in North Vancouver

Man exposes himself to woman in a park in North Vancouver

The male was sitting on a bench at a bend in the pathway on the Spirit Trail in Waterfront Park, where it faces the water, and exposed himself as the woman walked past. The woman was physically unharmed in the incident.

Man exposes himself to woman in a park in North Vancouver

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

The 15-year-old victim was walking in Pacific Centre Mall around 11:45 a.m. on May 8 when a man approached him from behind and leg-swept him to the ground. The alleged suspect fled after the assault, but was followed by mall security.

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair says it's advancing $416 million to rebuild homes lost in the 2021 fires, including the razed village of Lytton, in response to a provincial request for disaster financial assistance.

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

The micro-blogging platform had 229 million users in the first quarter. Musk has signed a $44 billion deal to take over Twitter, of which he will pay $21 billion from his own pocket while the rest will come as a loan from a consortium of banks.

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

PrevNext