Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

Violent attack on girl captured on video in Kelowna RCMP investigating

Violent attack on girl captured on video in Kelowna RCMP investigating
Police in Kelowna say they're investigating a violent attack on a girl that was captured on video on Friday night. RCMP say they are "reviewing very clear and detailed video of the incident to identify all of those involved," including "primary aggressors" and witnesses.

Violent attack on girl captured on video in Kelowna RCMP investigating

Calgary police investigating weekend assault of prominent radio host

Calgary police investigating weekend assault of prominent radio host
Rishi Nagar, a longtime radio host and news director for RED FM Calgary, identified himself as the victim of the assault. Nagar says he was assaulted by two men who were upset with recent reporting his outlet did related to an incident at the Dashmesh Culture Centre in Calgary last week.

Calgary police investigating weekend assault of prominent radio host

Wet snow warning on Trans-Canada Highway

Wet snow warning on Trans-Canada Highway
B-C is little more than a week into fall, but Environment Canada is warning of wet snow in the northeast and along a stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway. Muncho Lake and Stone Mountain provincial parks west of Fort Nelson are expected to see about 10 centimetres before the snow eases later today.

Wet snow warning on Trans-Canada Highway

Victoria awarded best travel city globally

Victoria awarded best travel city globally
Victoria has been chosen for the second year in a row in the Conde Nast Traveler's 2024 Readers' Choice Award as the number one small city in the world to visit. More than 575-thousand readers across the United States submitted their rating and travel experiences.

Victoria awarded best travel city globally

Media veteran tells inquiry of Beijing's influence on local Chinese outlets in Canada

Media veteran tells inquiry of Beijing's influence on local Chinese outlets in Canada
A media industry veteran is telling a public inquiry today the Chinese community in Canada has long been caught in the crosshairs of political discourse, disinformation and propaganda originating from the Chinese Communist Party.

Media veteran tells inquiry of Beijing's influence on local Chinese outlets in Canada

Small businesses to receive five years' worth of carbon rebates in December

Small businesses to receive five years' worth of carbon rebates in December
Owners of small and medium-sized businesses will finally receive their long-awaited carbon pricing refunds before the end of this year, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland announced on Tuesday. The Finance Department says the federal government will send more than $2.5 billion to about 600,000 Canadian businesses in December.

Small businesses to receive five years' worth of carbon rebates in December