Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall
The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna
A 24-year-old woman faces a charge for what RCMP in Kelowna say was a home invasion where another woman was repeatedly stabbed. Officers responded to the call on Saturday and found a 28-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries after she had been stabbed several times. 

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases
The federal government says Canada will challenge recent increases to softwood lumber duties by the United States. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says Canada has taken steps to launch two legal challenges under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou
Sources in the Official Opposition BC United party have leaked a file on the "extremism" of the B.C. Conservatives' executive director, Angelo Isidorou, less than two weeks after the parties' leaders announced a deal to work together.

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions
Former fashion mogul Peter Nygard is a "sexual predator" who showed no empathy for his victims, an Ontario judge said Monday as he sentenced the disgraced tycoon to 11 years in prison for his crimes in Toronto. The 83-year-old's time behind bars will work out to a little less than seven years after accounting for credit he received for time already spent in custody, and Nygard will be eligible to apply for parole in just over two years. 

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions