Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

2 people injured in rock climbing incident
B-C Emergency Health Services say two people were taken to hospital by helicopter from a rock climbing area in Squamish yesterday.  Brain Twaites, public information officer with the B-C E-H-S says the agency received a call before 1 p.m. about people in need of medical assistance in the Squamish region. 

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

Man dies in Whalley

Man dies in Whalley
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking witnesses to contact them after a man died in the Whalley neighbourhood Wednesday night.  The R-C-M-P says officers received a call from B-C Emergency Health Services at 6:40 p.m. on Wednesday and they located an unresponsive man who had fallen while lleaving a transit bus.

Man dies in Whalley

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late
The total cost of building the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain extension in Metro Vancouver has soared by $2 billion and the project has been delayed for a year. The Transportation Ministry says in a statement the budget of the 16-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain into Langley is now estimated at $5.996 billion, up from the original $4 billion projected. 

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown
Officials say they'll never know the cause of a massive fire earlier this summer that started a warehouse and then burned a wooden trestle in Metro Vancouver. The fire sent black smoke billowing across the region, prompting an air quality advisory and the temporary closure of a bridge between Vancouver and Richmond.

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs
The $18.4 million CBC/Radio-Canada awarded in bonuses to its employees this year is shocking, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said. He also said bonuses at the public broadcaster aren't justified because a government-owned corporation doesn't face competition like in the private sector. 

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent
The landlord company successfully argued that financial losses caused by the interest rate hikes were not foreseeable "under reasonable circumstances," and it should be allowed to increase rent beyond the 3.5 per cent limit set by the province for this year.

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent