Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday
A Calgary official says the city is set to announce Monday whether it's ready to lift its mandatory ban on outdoor watering. The ban has been in place since a major water feeder main burst on June 5.

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote
A shakeup of seismic proportions is reshaping the British Columbia political landscape a little over three months ahead of this fall's Oct. 19 election. Former political foes are forging once unimaginable unions, an established party faces annihilation at the ballot box and heavyweights from the ruling New Democrats have waited until summer to announce their retirements.

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Drivers reminded of road safety

Drivers reminded of road safety
The B-C Coroners Service is reminding drivers of a number of safety tips after a week that saw several fatal crashes in the province. It says there were 19 accidental deaths due to motor vehicle crashes between July 5th and 10th, with 12 of those deaths happening in three of the incidents.

Drivers reminded of road safety

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria
A man has been charged after a paramedic was assaulted while responding to a call in Victoria. City police say it happened last night when a man began hitting and kicking a paramedic in the face as they tried to medically assist him.

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister
Defence Minister Bill Blair is defending Canada's spending promise at the NATO leaders' summit in Washington, D.C., as critics throw cold water on the government's new pledge to meet the two per cent target by 2032. "That number didn’t sort of just come out of the air," Blair said Friday after returning to Toronto. "It came out of a lot of hard work."

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister