Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:25 AM
  • Cabinet ministers say they must not overreact to Trump's threats of annexation

Several federal cabinet ministers say Canada should not overreact to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's comments about annexing Canada but should still take them seriously.

Trump has mused about making Canada the 51st state for several weeks. He amped up those comments Tuesday, saying he would make it happen through economic force.

He also says he will follow through with his plan to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canada and Mexico the day he is sworn back into office.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada should not take Trump's "bait" but should not back down in its efforts to counter the threats he is making.

Joly is one of the Liberal ministers considering a run for the party's leadership. She says that, as she considers whether to throw her hat in, she's weighing her responsibilities as foreign affairs minister and the need to confront Trump's threats.

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc ruled himself out of the running completely Wednesday, saying that responding to the 25 per cent tariff threat requires his full attention.

Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says his focus is on ensuring the border is secure and reminding Americans of how connected the two countries are.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller repeated an earlier comment comparing Trump's rhetoric to an episode of the animated comedy South Park. He says he'll only start to worry if Trump appoints Eric Cartman, a foul-mouthed 10-year-old from the show, to the joint chiefs of staff.

MORE National ARTICLES

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'
There has been a "major failure" in a well in Merritt prompting the city to ask its residents to stop all non-essential water use. The city says in a statement that the failure is in the Voght well and affects the city's water distribution system. 

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine
The ongoing war will top the agenda of the three-day summit following Russian missile attacks Monday that left death and destruction, including at a large children's hospital in Kyiv.

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine

4 charged in Guildford robbery

4 charged in Guildford robbery
Mounties in Surrey says four people have now been charged after a robbery at a jewellery store in Guildford earlier this year. They say police responded after shots were fired at the store on February 18th, leaving one person with non-life threatening injuries. 

4 charged in Guildford robbery

Daily heat records tumble in B.C., temperatures in southern Interior to remain high

Daily heat records tumble in B.C., temperatures in southern Interior to remain high
A summary from Environment Canada shows 25 daily high temperature records were set and two tied across the province Monday, from Whistler, to Trail in the southeast, Smithers in the northwest, and Campbell River on Vancouver Island. The Lytton area was a hot spot with a daily high of 42.4 C, breaking the old record of 39.4 set in 1952.

Daily heat records tumble in B.C., temperatures in southern Interior to remain high

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp
A pro-Palestinian protest camp that had occupied a sports field at the University of British Columbia's Vancouver campus for more than two months has been dismantled by the demonstrators. Dozens of tents had been removed by Monday, although barricades and fencing around the site remain in place.

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp

Man charged in weapons trafficking

Man charged in weapons trafficking
The Canada Border Services Agency says a man has been charged with one count each of weapons trafficking and possession of a prohibited firearm after an investigation that began in December 2022.

Man charged in weapons trafficking