Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Jun, 2024 10:01 AM
  • Calgary mayor: no more breaks found in remaining 300 metres of failed water main

There have been no more unpleasant surprises following a robotic inspection of a remaining section of Calgary's water main that failed earlier this month, prompting citywide water restrictions. 

Five additional areas requiring further repair along the feeder main were detected late last week, but Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek told an update Sunday that a robotic inspection of 300 metres more of the pipe found no further breaches.

The discovery of those five additional weak spots added weeks to the expected timeline for repairs, and until they are completed, Calgarians are being told they must cut water consumption by 25 per cent to avoid running out.

Gondek says the original breach on June 5 has been repaired and work will now turn to fixing the other spots, a job she says is being made easier with help from other utilities supplying parts.

On Sunday, Emergency Management Agency chief Sue Henry showed a photo of a large section of pipe from the San Diego County Water Authority in California, which had the words "Good Luck Calgary" painted on it followed with a heart.

Gondek, meanwhile, praised Calgarians for cutting water use on Saturday to the lowest level since they were asked to conserve water on June 5.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Double shooting in East Vancouver
Police say they're investigating a double shooting that occurred in East Vancouver over the weekend. Investigators were called after midnight on Sunday about a shooting near Victoria Drive and East 28th Avenue. 

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended
Residents of wildfire-ravaged Wilson's Landing in West Kelowna, B.C., were granted a four-hour window Friday to access their homes to retrieve important items as an area-wide restriction order was extended to Sept. 15. The Central Okanagan Regional District says in a statement residents were temporarily permitted entry to the evacuation zone, but no further access is expected this weekend.

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year
Prosecutors in British Columbia have approved multiple charges against a Vancouver police officer a year after a pedestrian was hit by a police car in the city's Downtown Eastside. Const. Jack Zhao has been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian, and speeding.  

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC
B-C is experiencing a spike in COVID-19 numbers, with cases, hospitalizations and deaths all up in recent weeks. The monthly report from the B-C Centre for Disease Control shows that 447 people tested positive for the virus between August 27th and September 2nd -- more than triple the 133 cases recorded in the first full week of last month.

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'
Dix was meeting doctors and officials at Surrey Memorial Hospital this morning to update them on expanding the facility's emergency capacity, after complaints this year from workers that they lack resources to cope with the large number of incoming patients.

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

7500 dollar Rolex stolen

7500 dollar Rolex stolen
Burnaby R-C-M-P are asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect who allegedly stole a 75-hundred dollar Rolex watch after setting up meetings on Facebook Marketplace. Police says the victim met the suspect in a Burnaby mall on September 1st to sell a Rolex but the purchase wasn’t completed on that day.

7500 dollar Rolex stolen