Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting
B.C.'s police watchdog says an officer from the Vancouver Police Department might face charges in a shooting that killed a man two years ago.  A statement from the Independent Investigations Office says officers from the Vancouver Police Department responded to a call from the Patricia Hotel on May 5, 2022.

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill
R-C-M-P are looking for more information as they investigate the sexual assault of an elderly woman that happened in Cobble Hill in July. Mounties say an unknown man entered the elderly women's home in the area of Carlton Drive and assaulted her.

Elderly woman assaulted in Cobble Hill

Witnesses sought in collision

Witnesses sought in collision
Vancouver Police are looking for witnesses following a collision between a cyclist and pedestrian on the afternoon of September 1st. Officers say a 62-year-old was riding a rental bike on Comox Street between Broughton and Nicola just before 1 p.m., when the cyclist collided with a driver who was exiting her parked car. 

Witnesses sought in collision

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks
The British Columbia government says it’s collaborating with the federal government to protect its information systems from cyber attacks. The Ministry of Citizens' Services says in a statement that the new agreement provides the province with access to cyber defence services, which will improve its ability to defend, detect, and respond to cyber threats.

B.C. collaborates with federal government to fight against cyberattacks

Financial pressures difficult, but not the time for service, support cuts, says Eby

Financial pressures difficult, but not the time for service, support cuts, says Eby
British Columbia's estimated budget deficit is growing again, with the latest Ministry of Finance forecast pegging the province to be almost 9 billion in the red. Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the government is forecasting consecutive deficit budgets for the next three fiscal years, including $8.9 billion for the 2024-2025 budget followed by annual deficits of $6.7 billion and $6.1 billion in 2026-2027.

Financial pressures difficult, but not the time for service, support cuts, says Eby

B.C. businesses seek concrete economic 'vision' from parties ahead of fall election

B.C. businesses seek concrete economic 'vision' from parties ahead of fall election
Groups representing the forestry and mining industries, independent businesses and contractors say they have sent a survey of 10 questions to leaders of political parties ahead of the fall election, asking for a clear response on their economic visions for B.C. and concrete steps to get there.

B.C. businesses seek concrete economic 'vision' from parties ahead of fall election