Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say
Public health agencies are encouraging people who received a first dose of mpox vaccine over the last two years to make sure they get a second dose. Many people at risk for mpox exposure got vaccinated in Canada beginning in spring 2022, when a global outbreak of the virus was declared, Canada's chief public health officer said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use
The New Democrats included stock images from Russia and Israel in a recent high-profile video, weeks after the party criticized the Conservatives for using non-Canadian images in their content. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh announced in a video message Wednesday he was ending a supply and confidence deal with the Liberal government, while accusing Conservative policies of hurting Canadians, including retirees and families.

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use

China launches WTO complaint against Canada over EV, aluminum and steel tariffs

China launches WTO complaint against Canada over EV, aluminum and steel tariffs
China has launched a complaint against Canada at the World Trade Organization over recently announced tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles, aluminum and steel. The Ministry of Commerce announcement of the filing comes after a promise earlier this week it would do so.

China launches WTO complaint against Canada over EV, aluminum and steel tariffs

Stabbing at a bus shelter

Stabbing at a bus shelter
Mounties in North Vancouver say they are investigating a stabbing that happened in a bus shelter early yesterday morning.  They say officers and paramedics responded and found the victim near the Petro Canada gas station on the north side of Marine Drive. 

Stabbing at a bus shelter

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert
A growing cluster of out-of-control wildfires in the British Columbia Interior has forced officials to place residents in the area under an evacuation alert. The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako says people in a remote area about 80 kilometres south of Burns Lake, B.C., should be prepared to leave on short notice.

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada
Canada's unemployment rate continued to trend higher in August — reaching 6.6 per cent — as the job market slowdown hits workers and job seekers unevenly. Statistics Canada’s labour force survey on Friday showed the economy added a modest 22,000 jobs last month, lagging the pace of population growth.

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada