Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000
The leader of British Columbia's Opposition says he would introduce the largest provincial income tax cut in provincial history if his party is elected to form government this fall. Kevin Falcon says BC United would eliminate the tax on the first $50,000 earned by every person in B.C., allowing taxpayers to keep an additional $2,050 on average.

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada
A House of Commons committee will investigate how a man who is now facing terror charges was admitted to Canada and obtained citizenship. Members of Parliament on the public safety and national security committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month. 

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada
Human-caused climate change is making heat waves much more likely, the federal government says, bringing extreme weather from fires to storms. That's according to Environment and Climate Change Canada's rapid extreme weather event attribution system, which compares today's climate to a pre-industrial one.

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada