Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson
Mounties in Burnaby say a suspect has now been charged for an arson that happened in 2023. Police say a 33-year-old man is accused of setting fire to a loading bay at a business in Metrotown mall in February last year.

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting
Homicide investigators are identifying the victim of a deadly shooting in Langley earlier this month in the hopes to further their investigation. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 41-year-old Dillan Unger of Langley was the person killed on August 2nd. 

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service
Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services says it has extinguished a blaze that destroyed an apartment building under construction, damaged nine nearby homes and appears to have caused a crane to collapse. The fire in Vancouver's west side broke out late Tuesday in a six-story building and spread to several nearby houses. 

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance
The Forest Practices Board says an audit of the BC Timber Sales program and timber sales license holders in the Boundary region found "significant issues" with road and bridge maintenance. It says the board conducted a "full scope compliance audit" of all activities between June 2022 and June 2023 in the Kootenay Business Area in south-central B.C. along Highway 3.

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains
The director of provincial operations for the BC Wildfire Service says the province has seen about 10,000 lightning strikes over the last seven days, primarily in the Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centres. Cliff Chapman says because B.C. had a hot and dry July, those lightning strikes have the ability and the fuel to start new fires.

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision
On Tuesday at approximately 2:45 pm, BC Highway Patrol (BCHP) and Chilliwack RCMP responded to a multi-vehicle incident on Highway 1 near Yale Road West in Chilliwack. The highway has been shut down eastbound and currently has a single lane open westbound.

Highway 1 shuts down in Chilliwack after fatal collision