Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break
A proposed class-action lawsuit has been filed against the City of Calgary, claiming businesses needlessly lost significant revenue due to a water main break. In a statement of claim filed Wednesday, Angel's Cafe, located near the June 5 water main rupture, alleges the city knew the failed pipe was made of lower-grade materials and should have moved to prevent the failure.

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break

Canadian flights, hospitals, border disrupted during global technology outage

Canadian flights, hospitals, border disrupted during global technology outage
Cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike said the glitch felt round the world occurred when it deployed a faulty update to computers running Microsoft Windows — and that the outage was not a security incident or cyberattack. The issue affected Microsoft 365 apps and services, and disruptions continued after the techcompany said it was gradually fixing the problem.

Canadian flights, hospitals, border disrupted during global technology outage

Motorcyclist injured in crash

Motorcyclist injured in crash
Mounties in Richmond are looking for more witnesses and dashcam footage after a motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash on Sunday. R-C-M-P say witnesses told investigators that the motorcycle collided with another vehicle before the Audi S-U-V made a left turn into a residential driveway.

Motorcyclist injured in crash

B.C. promises expanded gynecological cancer care, new programs in Surrey, Kelowna

B.C. promises expanded gynecological cancer care, new programs in Surrey, Kelowna
The British Columbia government is bringing in new programs to address the growing demand for gynecological cancer surgical care in Kelowna and Surrey. Premier David Eby says the new services, and expansions of programs that already exist in Vancouver and Victoria, will nearly double the number of surgeons providing the cancer care in B.C. from eight to 15.

B.C. promises expanded gynecological cancer care, new programs in Surrey, Kelowna

More than 250 wildfires in B.C. as hot and dry weather persists

More than 250 wildfires in B.C. as hot and dry weather persists
More than 250 wildfires are burning in British Columbia as much of the province continues to bake under a heat wave that is expected to last into next week. Cliff Chapman with the BC Wildfire Service said Thursday the province appeared to be "on the precipice of a very challenging 72 hours" with hot and dry weather, dry lightning and strong winds forecast.

More than 250 wildfires in B.C. as hot and dry weather persists

B.C. Conservatives pitch health-care changes, more private clinics

B.C. Conservatives pitch health-care changes, more private clinics
John Rustad acknowledges that if his party were to form government in October the plan would cause the provincial budget to "spike," but says in the long-term it will bring down per-capita health-care spending.

B.C. Conservatives pitch health-care changes, more private clinics