Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption
Health Minister Mark Holland says he's trying to convince U.S. authorities that Canadian dogs should be allowed to cross the border without restrictions.  The Centers for Disease Control is imposing new rules on Aug. 1 aimed at stopping the spread of rabies. 

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says applications are now open for a national transit fund that will include money for existing transit systems so they can expand, improve and modernize. The $30-billion, 10-year Canada Public Transit Fund has been in the works for months and was in the recent federal budget.

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Man dies in Abbotsford prison
A man serving a second-degree murder sentence has died in an Abbotsford prison. Correctional Service of Canada says in a statement that Eugene Raymond Benoit died while in custody at the Abbotsford Regional Treatment Centre.

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby
Premier David Eby says working with the federal government can sometimes feel like beating his head against a wall. Eby is in Halifax for a meeting of Canada's premiers, where he told a news conference that he's disappointed in the lack of teamwork with Ottawa.

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing
A 52-year-old Nanaimo man was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after an early morning stabbing last Friday. R-C-M-P say it happened along Fitzwilliam Street in downtown Nanaimo, and the victim was not co-operative with investigators. 

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total
In a statement, the provincial Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills says the new limit is meant to make sure that "international student enrolment doesn't strain an institution's ability "to provide appropriate services." 

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total