Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage
A doctor shortage has forced a temporary closure at the Nicola Valley Hospital in Merritt. Interior Health says emergency care at the hospital will be closed for 48 hours.

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed after a "suspicious death" in Hope. It says Mounties responded to a police report of a dead person on Friday and arrived to find the body of a 46-year-old man, who appeared to be the victim of a homicide.

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave
A summary from Environment Canada shows 22 daily high temperature records fell across the province on Sunday, including one that had stood for almost 120 years.

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack
R-C-M-P say the victim was punched in the face and suffered minor injuries in the alleged attack that occurred at around noon along Number 3 Road, across from the C-F Richmond Centre.

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services
B.C. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says the proposed development at the 300-block of East Hastings Street at the former site of a Buddhist temple will be expanded after a donation of adjacent land from the charitable 625 Powell Street Foundation.

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services

Fatal crash in Vancouver

Fatal crash in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver say a 27-year-old man is dead after he was struck by a car while riding his motorcycle yesterday. They say the motorcyclist was riding south on Arbutus Street toward West 21st Avenue just before 9:30 p-m when he collided with a grey Honda C-R-V.

Fatal crash in Vancouver