Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria
Police in Victoria say a man has been charged with murder stemming from a fatal stabbing attack in March. Police say the stabbing happened on March 31st in downtown Victoria, where officers found one male victim dead and another unidentified victim suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl
Premier David Eby's special countdown ended with the announcement of the arrival of his newborn baby on Thursday, following his early campaign start for British Columbia's election. Eby says his third daughter, Gwendolyn Kay Eby, was born happy and healthy.

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police
Police say a three-year-old boy has died after a pickup truck hit a family crossing a street in Edmonton. Police say the truck had quickly stopped at in intersection in the city's southwest while a woman and her two young children were in a marked crosswalk.

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks
Breaking up the federal and provincial arms of the New Democratic Party would be a mistake, federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh suggested on Thursday, as members in Alberta increasingly vocalize their desire for a separation. Singh said the federal and Alberta NDP need to remain united in their goals to bring down conservatives.

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary
Police fired more than 100 rounds in the 26 seconds that followed, killing 22-year-old twin brothers Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie. Both men were wearing masks and body armour, and were carrying semi-automatic rifles. Police couldn't say who shot first. 

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities
When the government first announced people with disabilities would have access to national dental coverage this year, Antonella Giordano  really started to look forward to no longer paying out of pocket to care for her teeth. The 61-year-old Montrealer has been on disability from work for more than a decade for reasons related to her mental health.

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities