Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes
A cool and wet spring in parts of British Columbia has helped suppress fire activity, but an expected turn in the weather will likely renew wildfire risk this summer. BC Wildfire Service lead forecaster Matt MacDonald says blazes across the province have burned about 300,000 hectares so far this year.

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force
Locke raised a white flag this week at a council meeting, saying she is disappointed but accepts the outcome of last month's B.C. Supreme Court judicial review that said the province can order the transition to the Surrey Police Service to continue.

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway
Police say a motorcyclist is dead in a crash Wednesday that snarled morning traffic for Metro Vancouver commuters. Police say the truck driver didn't remain at the scene of the crash on Highway 99 near the George Massey Tunnel in Delta, B.C. 

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway
The driver injured when a rock crashed through her vehicle's windshield last week on a Metro Vancouver highway has died. BC Highway Patrol Cpl. Melissa Jongema confirmed that the vehicle's 34-year-old female driver has died of her injuries after the crash on June 6. 

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef
Vancouver police have arrested and charged a 32-year-old man in the stabbing death of a Japanese restaurant chef near the city's Chinatown last week. Police say Timothy Isborn faces a second-degree murder charge following their six-day investigation.

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef

Raed Jaser, convicted in Via Rail terror plot, loses appeal

Raed Jaser, convicted in Via Rail terror plot, loses appeal
Raed Jaser had challenged the outcome of the 2015 trial on several grounds, including that his case should have been severed from that of his co-accused, Chiheb Esseghaier – something he requested twice, unsuccessfully.

Raed Jaser, convicted in Via Rail terror plot, loses appeal