Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rain brings 'excellent' conditions for crews battling northern B.C. wildfires

Rain brings 'excellent' conditions for crews battling northern B.C. wildfires
A rainy day in and around Fort Nelson, B.C., was what fire crews were hoping for as they continue to battle a wildfire burning 2.5 kilometres outside the town. Evan Peck with the BC Wildfire Service said a low-pressure system brought much-needed rain over the last two days, along with cooler temperatures and lower humidity, making for "excellent" conditions for fire suppression efforts.

Rain brings 'excellent' conditions for crews battling northern B.C. wildfires

Kasari Govender re-appointed for 5 years

Kasari Govender re-appointed for 5 years
B-C's human rights commissioner has been reappointed by the legislature for another five years. Legislature members voted unanimously to reappoint Kasari Govender, following a recommendation from a parliamentary committee of government and opposition members.

Kasari Govender re-appointed for 5 years

As Mexico, U.S. head to polls, Trudeau still aims to host trilateral summit in 2024

As Mexico, U.S. head to polls, Trudeau still aims to host trilateral summit in 2024
Canada has yet to set a date for the North American Leaders' Summit, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's still aiming to host the gathering this year. The summit has happened most years since 2005, and hosting duties rotate between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico for meetings that focus on transnational issues such as immigration and drug trafficking.

As Mexico, U.S. head to polls, Trudeau still aims to host trilateral summit in 2024

Canada provides $40 million in new assistance for Palestinians

Canada provides $40 million in new assistance for Palestinians
Canada is providing $40 million to help Palestinians in the Gaza Strip amid concern over what it calls a catastrophic humanitarian situation, worsened by an Israeli ground offensive in Rafah. Ottawa says the funding will support the provision of food, water, emergency medical assistance, protection services and other life-saving assistance in the region.

Canada provides $40 million in new assistance for Palestinians

Man who attacked B.C. transit attendant sentenced to 10 years in prison

Man who attacked B.C. transit attendant sentenced to 10 years in prison
A man who attacked a SkyTrain attendant in New Westminster, B.C., in 2021 has been sentenced to 10 years in prison. A statement from Metro Vancouver Transit Police says 29-year-old Howard Geddes Skelding was found guilty of one count each of assault causing bodily harm and forcible confinement.

Man who attacked B.C. transit attendant sentenced to 10 years in prison

Snowfall coming for mountain passes

Snowfall coming for mountain passes
Special weather statements have been issued by Environment Canada for B-C’s southern mountain passes ahead of the Victoria Day long weekend. Snowfall of between two to five centimeters is expected overnight tonight and into Friday and maybe again on Saturday morning.  

Snowfall coming for mountain passes