Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:02 AM
  • Canada continues to review Syrian refugee claims as European nations pause intake

Canada will continue evaluating the asylum claims of people who have fled Syria, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said Tuesday, even as some European countries are pausing those claims after the fall of the Assad regime.

Miller said Canada's asylum system isn't seeing the same pressure as European counterparts such as Germany and Austria. 

"We don't face that flow in Canada, I don't know what rank they occupy in terms of source countries for asylum seekers, but it's pretty low," Miller said. 

Canada has just shy of 1,600 pending refugee claims from Syria as of Sept. 30. Germany has more than 47,000 pending refugee claims from the country. 

Syrian President Bashar Assad fled the country on Sunday and is reportedly in Russia after opposition forces seized the capital Damascus.

Assad's family had been in power for 50 years, and this marked a dramatic end to his 14-year rule that was characterized by a brutal civil war.

There are 28 other countries that have more pending claims before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. India tops the list, with more than 30,000 claims that need to be processed. 

While Assad is no longer in power in Syria, there are still questions about what the future holds for the country. 

Miller said the board will continue to monitor its approval criteria for claims coming from Syria. 

"The Immigration and Refugee Board assesses and reassesses on a constant basis the reason for people to claim asylum, so that's something that I think we will monitor carefully," Miller said. 

Since 2015, more than 100,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban
Canadian Blood Services says it has apologized to LGBTQ+ groups for a past policy that banned gay and bisexual men from donating blood.

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes
Canfor has announced it is permanently closing its Polar sawmill in Bear Lake, B.C., shutting a production line at its Northwood Pulp Mill in Prince George, and suspending its "planned reinvestment" in Houston, B.C.

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas
Federal and provincial immigration ministers will converge in Montreal Friday to puzzle out how to shrink the number of temporary residents in Canada while maintaining economic growth and the integrity of the overall system. 

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas

Senior pepper sprayed in North Van

Senior pepper sprayed in North Van
Police in North Vancouver say they've arrested a suspect who allegedly pepper-sprayed an elderly woman and tried to steal her phone in January 2023. R-C-M-P say the attack took place under the guise of a Facebook Marketplace exchange in which the woman was trying to sell her phone.

Senior pepper sprayed in North Van

Fatal house fire north of Kamloops

Fatal house fire north of Kamloops
One person is dead and another was taken to hospital after a house fire in the Blackpool area, about 115 kilometres north of Kamloops. A statement from the Thompson-Nicola Regional District says the home was fully engulfed when firefighters responded to the blaze yesterday. 

Fatal house fire north of Kamloops

Arrest of 12 year olds in Port Moody

Arrest of 12 year olds in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody say two 12-year-old boys have been arrested and released with conditions after they allegedly assaulted a girl at a SkyTrain station. Police say they were notified on Tuesday of a video circulating in the community depicting an assault at the Moody Centre station the day before.

Arrest of 12 year olds in Port Moody