Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada lists Yemen's Houthi militant group as terrorist entity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 11:14 AM
  • Canada lists Yemen's Houthi militant group as terrorist entity

Canada has added Ansarallah, better known as the Houthi militant group, to its list of terrorist entities, following in the steps of allies like the United States. 

The group has launched numerous attacks on civilian and naval vessels in the Red Sea since November 2023, contributing to regional unrest in the midst of the Israel-Hamas war.

Canada has supported British and American strikes against Houthi targets earlier this year. 

The Houthis have also worked closely with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and Hezbollah, both of which are also listed terrorist entities. 

The U.S. listed Ansarallah as a terrorist group in January this year. 

Under Canadian law, this designation allows for criminal penalties against any person or group that knowingly deals with a listed entity. 

The order acknowledges the term "Houthi" can also refer to an ethnic group in Yemen, and this designation only applies to Ansarallah militants.

MORE National ARTICLES

Joly urges halt to escalating violence as Israel suspected of airstrike on Iran

Joly urges halt to escalating violence as Israel suspected of airstrike on Iran
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is once again urging Israel and Iran to prevent their long-running conflict from spiralling into a broader Middle East crisis. She is calling for de-escalation and has co-signed a lengthy statement that touches on the Israel-Hamas war, the humanitarian plight in Gaza and attacks on ships off the coast of Yemen.  

Joly urges halt to escalating violence as Israel suspected of airstrike on Iran

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant
British Columbia's Environment Ministry says a 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from a fibreboard factory in Quesnel doesn't pose any immediate risk to public safety. It says in a statement that Monday's spill from the WestPine Medium-Density Fibreboard plant into a gravel pit has been assessed and no waterways have been affected.

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant

Changes for short-term rentals as of May 1st

Changes for short-term rentals as of May 1st
The BC government says analysis of short-term rental data from March showed that more than 19-thousand entire homes in the province are listed for rent for most of the year.  That figure will change starting May 1st, when the new short-term rental rules kick in for more than 60 communities in B-C. 

Changes for short-term rentals as of May 1st

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is a "fraud" for portraying himself as a friend of the working class, the head of the country's largest labour organization said Thursday, urging unions to do everything they can to expose him before the next federal election. Canadian Labour Congress President Bea Bruske delivered her call to arms as union leaders gathered in Ottawa to plot strategy ahead of the vote, which must happen before October 2025. 

Labour leader urges unions to expose Poilievre's working-class overtures as 'fraud'

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push
Foreign aid groups are hailing the federal Liberal government's return to a policy of increasing humanitarian and development spending each year, while asking for a plan to push allies to reverse a global decline in aid. 

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding
Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the additional buses will reduce overcrowding and wait times throughout the region. A statement from the province says the money will go toward purchasing buses to increase future services, while TransLink will put remaining funds from $479 million the province provided last year toward immediate improvements.

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding