Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post reaches deal with second-largest union, negotiations continue with CUPW

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Jun, 2025 12:35 PM
  • Canada Post reaches deal with second-largest union, negotiations continue with CUPW

Canada Post says it has reached a contract deal with its second-largest union as negotiations continue with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. 

The Crown corporation says the new collective agreement with the Canadian Postmasters and Assistants Association comes after 18 months of negotiations, the same span of time it's been in talks with CUPW.

The postal service says the agreement with the CPAA covers about 8,500 employees, who mostly manage post offices in rural Canada.

It says the new agreement includes an 11 per cent wage increase over three years, retroactive to the start of 2024, including a six per cent increase in the first year, three per cent for 2025 and two per cent in 2026.

In a negotiation update on its website, the CPAA said it made "significant advancements" in many areas of the collective agreement, which also include a bump in leasing allowances, Truth and Reconciliation Day added as a designated holiday and a childcare fund created.

Canada Post is still trying to reach a deal with CUPW, its largest union representing about 55,000 postal workers.

Updates last week from the two sides indicated they were struggling to make progress on talks, while the union remains in a legal strike position with all members under an overtime ban since May 23.

In announcing the deal with the CPAA, Canada Post said the arbitrator between the two said a recent report on the state of Canada's postal service had an impact on the negotiations. 

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu said last week that CUPW has effectively refused to take heed of the federally commissioned report that called for major reforms to the 158-year-old institution, including more flexible routes and part-time weekend positions with similar pay rates and benefits.

The union said last week that Canada Post is refusing to meet it "halfway" on arbitration, with talks stalled and the two sides still far apart.

Given the impasse, the federal government intervened last week to force unionized Canada Post workers to vote directly on the latest offers from the postal service, though no date has been set.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Liam Richards

MORE National ARTICLES

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings
Vancouver's Joe Average was an artist, advocate and activist whose bright, multicoloured images were as multi-faceted as his existence. But his sister Karin Carson says she used to giggle about his fame and always called him by Brock, his given name. 

Artist and activist Joe Average dies at 67, after life as vivid as his paintings

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC
Mounties say major crime investigators are looking for witnesses or people who were in the area of the Finlay Community Connector Forest Service Road on Friday evening or Saturday morning. 

Body found on the outskirts of rural BC

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

9-year-old girl dies in car crash
On Friday Calgary Police laid nearly a dozen charges on 30-year-old Duane Arlen John Nepoose, including dangerous driving causing death, three counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and fleeing from police.

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access