Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials
The Washington Post first reported that Canadian officials alleged Indian Home Affairs Minister Amit Shah was behind a campaign of violence and intimidation targeting Sikh separatists in Canada. Morrison told MPs at the national security committee Tuesday that he was the one who confirmed Shah's name to that newspaper.

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has congratulated Premier Scott Moe after the Saskatchewan Party won a fifth-straight majority in the provincial election. Trudeau says he wants to work with Moe to provide results for Saskatchewan residents, including creating jobs, expanding child care and improving health care. 

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.
As Halloween approaches, police on Vancouver Island are urging the public to use caution after officers seized more than 120,000 cannabis-laced edibles, including chocolate and candies with packaging that mimics recognizable treats.

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are asking residents to watch out for thieves targeting coat racks near the entrances of local businesses as winter approaches. Police say suspects typically take items such as wallets and cell phones from coats left on racks.

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan
Mounties in North Cowichan are investigating after a residential fire resulted in a death. R-C-M-P says officers were called to the scene at around 9:30 a.m. on October 28th, which prompted responses from North Cowichan, Maple Bay, Crofton and Chemainus.

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam
BC Hydro says the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia has started generating power. The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the first of six generating units on the Site C dam has begun operations after completing testing and commissioning procedures.

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam