Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Eby says B.C. Greens not yet ready for minority talks as Furstenau stays Green leader

Eby says B.C. Greens not yet ready for minority talks as Furstenau stays Green leader
Recounts in two ridings and a tally of 49,000 absentee and mail-in ballots that are set to begin this Saturday will hold the key to the outcome, with both the NDP and the B.C. Conservatives falling short of the 47 ridings needed to form a majority after the initial count ended on the weekend.

Eby says B.C. Greens not yet ready for minority talks as Furstenau stays Green leader

59 year old man missing in Coquitlam

59 year old man missing in Coquitlam
Police are asking for the public's help in locating a 59-year-old man who was last seen near Pipeline Road and Galette Avenue, beside the swollen Coquitlam River. Robert Belding went missing Sunday afternoon at the tail end of an atmospheric river weather system that drenched B-C's south coast over the weekend.

59 year old man missing in Coquitlam

19 year old dies in crash

19 year old dies in crash
R-C-M-P in Ladysmith say a 19-year-old man is dead after a single-vehicle crash. It happened last night shortly after 10 p-m in the southbound lanes of the Trans-Canada Highway, which was closed for several hours.

19 year old dies in crash

Youth arrested after alleged threat of school shooting in Richmond police say

Youth arrested after alleged threat of school shooting in Richmond police say
Police say a youth has been arrested after a report of online threats against a school in the Metro Vancouver community of Richmond. RCMP say the Richmond School District contacted them on Saturday about alleged threats that a shooting would take place at a particular school on Monday. 

Youth arrested after alleged threat of school shooting in Richmond police say

B.C. breaks vaccination records, with 82,000 COVID-19 and flu shots in one day

B.C. breaks vaccination records, with 82,000 COVID-19 and flu shots in one day
The health ministry says in a news release invitations for priority populations started going out on Oct. 8, and on the first day of delivery on Oct. 15, B.C. pharmacies administered almost 82,000 vaccinations. It says that was a record for any single day, with about 50,000 shots for the flu, and about 32,000 for COVID-19.

B.C. breaks vaccination records, with 82,000 COVID-19 and flu shots in one day

Veteran Quebec TV exec Marie-Philippe Bouchard named new CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada

Veteran Quebec TV exec Marie-Philippe Bouchard named new CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada
A seasoned Quebec television executive has been appointed as the next president and CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada. Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge says Marie-Philippe Bouchard will step into the top role at Canada's public broadcaster.

Veteran Quebec TV exec Marie-Philippe Bouchard named new CEO of CBC/Radio-Canada