Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jun, 2025 01:43 PM
  • Canada Post rejects union's request for binding arbitration to end labour dispute

Canada Post has rejected a request from the union representing about 55,000 of its workers to send their ongoing labour dispute to binding arbitration.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers made the request in a statement Saturday, saying it was inviting Canada Post to a fair, final and binding arbitration process to resolve negotiations that have dragged on for months without producing a new collective agreement. 

But the Crown corporation dismissed the proposal in a response on Sunday, saying it wants to "restore stability" to the postal service and arguing the union's request for binding arbitration would do the opposite.

Canada Post says arbitration would be long and complicated and would likely last more than a year, adding to what it described as its significant financial challenges.

Canada Post presented what it called its "final offers" to the union on Wednesday, with concessions including an end to compulsory overtime and a signing bonus of up to $1,000.

But it stuck to a proposal for a 14-per-cent cumulative wage hike over four years and part-time staff on weekend shifts, a major sticking point in the talks.

Canada Post said the two sides are at loggerheads after months of conciliation and mediation and has asked Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu to force a union membership vote on its latest proposals.

A statement from the CUPW Sunday evening said the forced union vote would not bring lasting labour peace -- regardless of the vote's outcome.

"This refusal constitutes yet another demonstration that (Canada Post) is not interested in a reasonable outcome to this round of negotiation. A forced vote may fail to end the labour conflict and risks further division, prolonging uncertainty for all parties," the statement said.

The union has been in a legal strike position as of May 23, but so far has opted to ban members from working overtime instead. 

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Defence minister announces nearly $65 million in aid to Ukraine

Defence minister announces nearly $65 million in aid to Ukraine
Canada announced the details of a $64.8 million military aid package to Ukraine Friday as National Defence Minister Bill Blair attended a NATO defence ministers meeting in Brussels. Ukraine's ongoing war with Russia was a key topic at the meeting, and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy addressed the ministers during the meeting.

Defence minister announces nearly $65 million in aid to Ukraine

Indian diplomats 'clearly on notice' after high commissioner expulsion: Joly

Indian diplomats 'clearly on notice' after high commissioner expulsion: Joly
Canada expelled the Indian high commissioner and five other diplomats on Monday and when asked at a news conference in Montreal Friday if any more expulsions would follow Joly did not say no.

Indian diplomats 'clearly on notice' after high commissioner expulsion: Joly

Most Liberal MPs support Trudeau as leader: Freeland

Most Liberal MPs support Trudeau as leader: Freeland
Several media reports have uncovered efforts by some Liberal MPs to confront the prime minister at the next caucus meeting on Oct. 23, following more than a year of dismal polling and the growing fear their party will be decimated in the next election.

Most Liberal MPs support Trudeau as leader: Freeland

30 drug related offences for 2 men

30 drug related offences for 2 men
Police in Delta say 30 charges have been approved against two men related to drug trafficking and firearms offences. They say that the department conducted an investigation into the men, which included executing search warrants in Delta and Richmond in November 2022.

30 drug related offences for 2 men

Man facing manslaughter charge

Man facing manslaughter charge
Mounties in Duncan say a man is now facing a charge of manslaughter for the stabbing death of a 33-year-old-man earlier this year.  They say that on July 16th, officers responded to a report of an injured man in the city's downtown and arrived to find the victim suffering from stab wounds. 

Man facing manslaughter charge

'I wish my father was here': Tobacco victims hail bittersweet $32.5-billion deal

'I wish my father was here': Tobacco victims hail bittersweet $32.5-billion deal
Under a newly proposed deal, JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges, and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. would pay close to $25 billion to provinces and territories.

'I wish my father was here': Tobacco victims hail bittersweet $32.5-billion deal