Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Canada Post sending new offers to union with aim of moving talks forward

Canada Post says it will be sending new offers to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers in an effort to move negotiations forward.

The Crown corporation said the new terms will allow the two sides to return to the bargaining table next week, with work already underway to make that happen.

The move comes after the union representing 55,000 postal workers imposed a ban on flyer deliveries that started Monday, as the union also urged Canada Post back to negotiations.

In early August, union members voted down what Canada Post said was its final offer. The union put forward its latest counter-proposal on Aug. 20, which Canada Post said adds significant new costs and restrictions at a challenging time for the postal service.

Canada Post said it asked the union to come back with a more workable solution, but since that hasn't happened, it decided to present new global offers with the hopes that the two sides can find common ground on important issues like weekend delivery.

Pressure is mounting to reach a deal as the crucial holiday season approaches. 

A strike and lockout lasted more than a month in November and December last year, ending only after then-labour minister Steven MacKinnon declared an impasse in the talks and asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order an end to the work stoppage.

Jan Simpson, president of CUPW, said last Friday that the union shifted from an overtime ban to the flyer ban to address Canada Post's objections to how it was affecting operations. 

She said the goal is to get a deal in place before Christmas, but that if Canada Post "continues to stall, postal workers will have no choice but to consider stronger actions to move negotiations ahead."

Canada Post said that it has asked the union to deliver the flyers that are currently trapped in its network ahead of the restart of talks. 

It said the ban on flyer deliveries is affecting many customers, including community newspapers, small businesses and charities.

The two sides have been in contract talks for almost two years over issues like wages and part-time workers at a time that the postal service keeps incurring significant financial losses. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs
Premier Doug Ford says U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick has committed to lowering U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff on Canadian aluminum and steel back to 25 per cent after Ontario agreed to pause a surcharge on electricity exports to the United States.

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

Slower B.C. real estate sales blamed on U.S. tariff uncertainty, association says

Slower B.C. real estate sales blamed on U.S. tariff uncertainty, association says
The British Columbia Real Estate Association says tariff uncertainty has slowed housing activity.  A board report says there were 4,947 residential sales in the province last month, down 9.7 per cent from the same time last year. 

Slower B.C. real estate sales blamed on U.S. tariff uncertainty, association says

Explainer: What's a recession and why is rising anxiety about it roiling markets?

Explainer: What's a recession and why is rising anxiety about it roiling markets?
Stock markets are plunging, consumers and businesses have started to sour on the economy, and economists are marking down their estimates for growth this year, with some even seeing rising odds of a recession. The tech-heavy Nasdaq stock index slipped into a correction last week, defined as a 10% drop from its most recent peak. The broader S&P 500 neared that level Tuesday.

Explainer: What's a recession and why is rising anxiety about it roiling markets?

Poilievre wants to impose 50 per cent metal tariffs on U.S. after latest Trump threat

Poilievre wants to impose 50 per cent metal tariffs on U.S. after latest Trump threat
Trump says he will double the steel and aluminum tariffs he promised to deploy on Canadian products tomorrow — to 50 per cent — in response to Ontario's 25 per cent surcharge on electricity exports to the U.S. Trump originally vowed to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports.

Poilievre wants to impose 50 per cent metal tariffs on U.S. after latest Trump threat

Confused about tariff deadlines? Here's what we know right now

Confused about tariff deadlines? Here's what we know right now
The trade war between the U.S. and Canada took another turn Tuesday as U.S. President Donald Trump vowed to double the tariff on steel and aluminum imports coming from Canada in response to Ontario's surcharge on electricity exports. Trump said 50 per cent tariffs will be placed on Canadian steel and aluminum starting Wednesday, up from the 25 per cent tariffs that had been expected to apply to those materials.

Confused about tariff deadlines? Here's what we know right now

PM-designate Carney demands respect from U.S. as Trump doubles tariffs

PM-designate Carney demands respect from U.S. as Trump doubles tariffs
Prime minister-designate Mark Carney says he will keep Canadian retaliatory tariffs in place until "Americans show us respect" and commit to free trade again. Carney is reacting after U.S. President Donald Trump moved today to double incoming tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum, which Carney calls an attack on Canadian workers and businesses.

PM-designate Carney demands respect from U.S. as Trump doubles tariffs