Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2024 02:42 PM
  • Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

The union representing Canada Post workers says the Crown corporation has been laying off striking employees as the labour action by more than 55,000 workers approaches the two-week mark. 

In a notice to members posted Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers called the layoffs a "scare tactic" and said it's looking into the situation.

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu confirmed the layoffs, saying they are temporary.

She said the organization has informed some employees that the collective agreements are no longer in effect and their conditions of employment have now changed, as per the CanadaLabour Code — referring to the section of the code that covers lockout notices. 

"Our business has been significantly impacted leading up to and throughout this labour disruption. We have taken steps to adjust our operations," Liu said. 

Neither the union nor Canada Post provided details on the extent of the layoffs.

Earlier in November, Canada Post issued a lockout notice but said it didn't intend to lock out employees, instead saying the notice would allow the company to make changes to its operations in order to respond to the effects of a strike. 

Labour experts said the layoffs by Canada Post are an unusual move. 

"Given that the workers aren't being paid while they're on strike, it's unclear why they're doing it," said labour and employment lawyer Deborah Hudson. 

Hudson said the Canada Labour Code protects workers from being laid off because of their participation in a strike. 

"If the temporary layoffs continue, they will for sure result in legal action by the union," she said, such as grievances or an unfair labour practice complaint. 

In that case, Canada Post will have to prove that it laid off workers for another reason, she said. 

On its face, Canada Post appears to be violating that section of the labour code, said David J. Doorey, a professor of labour and employment law at York University, in an email. 

"Therefore, if CUPW challenges the layoffs, Canada Post will need strong evidence to persuade the labour board that the layoffs are entirely unrelated to the fact that the workers went on strike. It would be interesting to hear that argument," he said. 

Liu said the strike has essentially shut down Canada Post's operations until further notice. The fact that the collective agreements are not currently in effect "enables Canada Post to adjust its operations based on its operational realities and business needs," she said. 

Hudson said the organization could be doing the layoffs in anticipation of the end of the strike, when they may be expecting significantly lower volumes in the short term as other carriers have shouldered Black Friday deliveries. 

"Maybe they're anticipating a drop of workload ahead of time," she said. 

The question is, "Are they able to prove that that justifies these temporary layoffs or not?" 

Striking workers have a legal right to return to their jobs when the strike ends, said Doorey, "unless those jobs no longer exist."

"It may be that a lack of work at that point results in some employees being laid-off, at least temporarily, but that is just hypothetical at this point," he said. 

Canada Post has said it's missed out on delivering millions of parcels due to the strike. 

A key issue in bargaining has been a push to expand parcel deliveries into the weekend, but the union and Canada Post are at odds over how to make it work. 

Canada Post has been struggling to compete with other delivery providers and posted a $315-million loss before tax in its third quarter, and has pitched weekend deliveries as a way to boost revenue. 

There's no end in sight for the strike as the federal labour minister said Wednesday that a mediator appointed by Ottawa was getting nowhere, with the sides too far apart on critical issues. The mediation talks were temporarily suspended — and the government doesn't plan to intervene.

Steven MacKinnon said he had summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. However, he said a directive for binding arbitration is "not in the cards." 

In a statement Thursday, spokesman Phil Rogers said CanadaPost is "considering its options to move negotiations forward with greater urgency and remains committed to negotiating new collective agreements."

Meanwhile, union president Jan Simpson said in a statement Wednesday that CUPW is fighting to protect good full-time jobs. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported
An explosion Wednesday reduced a Winnipeg house to rubble and significantly damaged nearby homes. Emergency crews were called to the bungalow on Camrose Bay in the Transcona neighbourhood shortly after 11 a.m.

'Big bang': Explosion destroys Winnipeg home and damages others, no injuries reported

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous
A 37-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a 66-year-old woman in Sicamous.  R-C-M-P say paramedics tried to save Jo Ann Jackson last week when she was found unresponsive in the driveway of a mobile home park, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Second degree murder charge in Sicamous

Burnaby RCMP seize catalytic converters

Burnaby RCMP seize catalytic converters
Mounties in Burnaby have seized 439 catalytic converters in a lengthy theft and trafficking investigation. R-C-M-P say they found the converters after conducting search warrants at four locations linked to one man who allegedly ran a mobile metal recycling business.

Burnaby RCMP seize catalytic converters

Test water flowing through repaired Calgary pipe, full service days away

Test water flowing through repaired Calgary pipe, full service days away
Water is flowing again in a massive Calgary pipe — test water. Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek says work has started to fill the repaired pipe with water for testing.

Test water flowing through repaired Calgary pipe, full service days away

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall
Several federal cabinet ministers say they are all ears to what disgruntled voters are saying in the aftermath of a Toronto byelection defeat in what was considered a safe Liberal riding. Although the ministers expressed openness to hearing out Canadians  turned off by the Liberals and Justin Trudeau, none could say how their team plans to address those concerns.

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson
Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect.  The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson