Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2024 02:42 PM
  • Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

The union representing Canada Post workers says the Crown corporation has been laying off striking employees as the labour action by more than 55,000 workers approaches the two-week mark. 

In a notice to members posted Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers called the layoffs a "scare tactic" and said it's looking into the situation.

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu confirmed the layoffs, saying they are temporary.

She said the organization has informed some employees that the collective agreements are no longer in effect and their conditions of employment have now changed, as per the CanadaLabour Code — referring to the section of the code that covers lockout notices. 

"Our business has been significantly impacted leading up to and throughout this labour disruption. We have taken steps to adjust our operations," Liu said. 

Neither the union nor Canada Post provided details on the extent of the layoffs.

Earlier in November, Canada Post issued a lockout notice but said it didn't intend to lock out employees, instead saying the notice would allow the company to make changes to its operations in order to respond to the effects of a strike. 

Labour experts said the layoffs by Canada Post are an unusual move. 

"Given that the workers aren't being paid while they're on strike, it's unclear why they're doing it," said labour and employment lawyer Deborah Hudson. 

Hudson said the Canada Labour Code protects workers from being laid off because of their participation in a strike. 

"If the temporary layoffs continue, they will for sure result in legal action by the union," she said, such as grievances or an unfair labour practice complaint. 

In that case, Canada Post will have to prove that it laid off workers for another reason, she said. 

On its face, Canada Post appears to be violating that section of the labour code, said David J. Doorey, a professor of labour and employment law at York University, in an email. 

"Therefore, if CUPW challenges the layoffs, Canada Post will need strong evidence to persuade the labour board that the layoffs are entirely unrelated to the fact that the workers went on strike. It would be interesting to hear that argument," he said. 

Liu said the strike has essentially shut down Canada Post's operations until further notice. The fact that the collective agreements are not currently in effect "enables Canada Post to adjust its operations based on its operational realities and business needs," she said. 

Hudson said the organization could be doing the layoffs in anticipation of the end of the strike, when they may be expecting significantly lower volumes in the short term as other carriers have shouldered Black Friday deliveries. 

"Maybe they're anticipating a drop of workload ahead of time," she said. 

The question is, "Are they able to prove that that justifies these temporary layoffs or not?" 

Striking workers have a legal right to return to their jobs when the strike ends, said Doorey, "unless those jobs no longer exist."

"It may be that a lack of work at that point results in some employees being laid-off, at least temporarily, but that is just hypothetical at this point," he said. 

Canada Post has said it's missed out on delivering millions of parcels due to the strike. 

A key issue in bargaining has been a push to expand parcel deliveries into the weekend, but the union and Canada Post are at odds over how to make it work. 

Canada Post has been struggling to compete with other delivery providers and posted a $315-million loss before tax in its third quarter, and has pitched weekend deliveries as a way to boost revenue. 

There's no end in sight for the strike as the federal labour minister said Wednesday that a mediator appointed by Ottawa was getting nowhere, with the sides too far apart on critical issues. The mediation talks were temporarily suspended — and the government doesn't plan to intervene.

Steven MacKinnon said he had summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. However, he said a directive for binding arbitration is "not in the cards." 

In a statement Thursday, spokesman Phil Rogers said CanadaPost is "considering its options to move negotiations forward with greater urgency and remains committed to negotiating new collective agreements."

Meanwhile, union president Jan Simpson said in a statement Wednesday that CUPW is fighting to protect good full-time jobs. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. moves to prevent offender name changes after child killer legally gets new name

B.C. moves to prevent offender name changes after child killer legally gets new name
Offenders in British Columbia convicted of serious Criminal Code offences will no longer be permitted to legally change their names under legislation introduced today. Health Minister Adrian Dix says the proposed law would amend the province's Name Act to ensure people convicted of dangerous offences can't change their name.

B.C. moves to prevent offender name changes after child killer legally gets new name

Light rain expected to help Fort McMurray wildfire as Grande Prairie blaze to grow

Light rain expected to help Fort McMurray wildfire as Grande Prairie blaze to grow
The fire near the oilsands hub, northeast of Edmonton, had grown to about 65 square kilometres. Officials said that's because they have a more accurate estimate not because flames are spreading. The fire remained about 16 kilometres from the city of 68,000 people. A fire there in 2016 destroyed roughly 2,400 homes.

Light rain expected to help Fort McMurray wildfire as Grande Prairie blaze to grow

B.C., Ottawa put up nearly $254M to expand heat pump rebates

B.C., Ottawa put up nearly $254M to expand heat pump rebates
The B.C. and federal governments have set aside nearly $254 million to expand rebates to convert home heating and cooling systems to more climate-friendly options with a focus on low- and middle-income households. A joint statement from Environment Canada and B.C.'s Energy Ministry says Ottawa is providing up to $103.7 million while the province is adding up to $151 million to increase the number of households eligible for upgrades.

B.C., Ottawa put up nearly $254M to expand heat pump rebates

Petition to recall Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek fails after falling far short of target

Petition to recall Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek fails after falling far short of target
The petition effort to recall Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek has officially failed. The city clerk says the petition collected fewer than 70,000 signatures, well short of the 514,000 needed under provincial law for the recall to kick in.

Petition to recall Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek fails after falling far short of target

1 dead in Surrey house fire

1 dead in Surrey house fire
RCMP in Surrey, B.C., say its officers are helping the fire department investigate a blaze in a home where a man's body was found on Sunday.  Police say when officers arrived at the scene the occupants of the home had escaped, except for the man who lived in a secondary suite. The identification of the man who died hasn't been confirmed.   

1 dead in Surrey house fire

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly plans trip to Middle East, Mediterranean

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly plans trip to Middle East, Mediterranean
Canada’s foreign affairs minister is embarking on a five-day trip to the Middle East and the Mediterranean where she will focus on peacekeeping and aid. Global Affairs Canada says Mélanie Joly is set to leave today and will visit Cyprus, Lebanon, Turkiye and Greece where she will meet with her counterparts and other government officials. 

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly plans trip to Middle East, Mediterranean