Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2024 02:42 PM
  • Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

The union representing Canada Post workers says the Crown corporation has been laying off striking employees as the labour action by more than 55,000 workers approaches the two-week mark. 

In a notice to members posted Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers called the layoffs a "scare tactic" and said it's looking into the situation.

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu confirmed the layoffs, saying they are temporary.

She said the organization has informed some employees that the collective agreements are no longer in effect and their conditions of employment have now changed, as per the CanadaLabour Code — referring to the section of the code that covers lockout notices. 

"Our business has been significantly impacted leading up to and throughout this labour disruption. We have taken steps to adjust our operations," Liu said. 

Neither the union nor Canada Post provided details on the extent of the layoffs.

Earlier in November, Canada Post issued a lockout notice but said it didn't intend to lock out employees, instead saying the notice would allow the company to make changes to its operations in order to respond to the effects of a strike. 

Labour experts said the layoffs by Canada Post are an unusual move. 

"Given that the workers aren't being paid while they're on strike, it's unclear why they're doing it," said labour and employment lawyer Deborah Hudson. 

Hudson said the Canada Labour Code protects workers from being laid off because of their participation in a strike. 

"If the temporary layoffs continue, they will for sure result in legal action by the union," she said, such as grievances or an unfair labour practice complaint. 

In that case, Canada Post will have to prove that it laid off workers for another reason, she said. 

On its face, Canada Post appears to be violating that section of the labour code, said David J. Doorey, a professor of labour and employment law at York University, in an email. 

"Therefore, if CUPW challenges the layoffs, Canada Post will need strong evidence to persuade the labour board that the layoffs are entirely unrelated to the fact that the workers went on strike. It would be interesting to hear that argument," he said. 

Liu said the strike has essentially shut down Canada Post's operations until further notice. The fact that the collective agreements are not currently in effect "enables Canada Post to adjust its operations based on its operational realities and business needs," she said. 

Hudson said the organization could be doing the layoffs in anticipation of the end of the strike, when they may be expecting significantly lower volumes in the short term as other carriers have shouldered Black Friday deliveries. 

"Maybe they're anticipating a drop of workload ahead of time," she said. 

The question is, "Are they able to prove that that justifies these temporary layoffs or not?" 

Striking workers have a legal right to return to their jobs when the strike ends, said Doorey, "unless those jobs no longer exist."

"It may be that a lack of work at that point results in some employees being laid-off, at least temporarily, but that is just hypothetical at this point," he said. 

Canada Post has said it's missed out on delivering millions of parcels due to the strike. 

A key issue in bargaining has been a push to expand parcel deliveries into the weekend, but the union and Canada Post are at odds over how to make it work. 

Canada Post has been struggling to compete with other delivery providers and posted a $315-million loss before tax in its third quarter, and has pitched weekend deliveries as a way to boost revenue. 

There's no end in sight for the strike as the federal labour minister said Wednesday that a mediator appointed by Ottawa was getting nowhere, with the sides too far apart on critical issues. The mediation talks were temporarily suspended — and the government doesn't plan to intervene.

Steven MacKinnon said he had summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. However, he said a directive for binding arbitration is "not in the cards." 

In a statement Thursday, spokesman Phil Rogers said CanadaPost is "considering its options to move negotiations forward with greater urgency and remains committed to negotiating new collective agreements."

Meanwhile, union president Jan Simpson said in a statement Wednesday that CUPW is fighting to protect good full-time jobs. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ali's lawyers fear dead girl's dad, as police probe claim he brought gun to court

Ali's lawyers fear dead girl's dad, as police probe claim he brought gun to court
The father of a murdered 13-year-old girl has been under police investigation for allegedly bringing a gun into a Vancouver courtroom on the day that Ibrahim Ali was convicted of the killing, the man's lawyer has told a hearing. Lawyers for Ali are refusing to show up to court for post-trial proceedings citing safety concerns about the man, who can't be named because of a publication ban on the identity of the murdered girl.

Ali's lawyers fear dead girl's dad, as police probe claim he brought gun to court

Man faces seven charges after Edmonton City Hall shooting

Man faces seven charges after Edmonton City Hall shooting
Police say a man is facing seven charges after shots were fired and a Molotov cocktail was thrown at Edmonton City Hall.  The alleged offences include arson, possessing incendiary materials and discharging a firearm into a building.

Man faces seven charges after Edmonton City Hall shooting

Be on lookout for car thief

Be on lookout for car thief
Kelowna R-C-M-P are asking residents to be on the lookout for a man suspected of trying to defraud multiple car dealerships. Police say a dealership recently reported that the suspect had produced four driver's licences showing different names with the same identification photo.  

Be on lookout for car thief

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing
Metro Vancouver Transit Police say charges have been approved after a stabbing that left a teenager with serious wounds requiring emergency surgery. Police say it happened last July when the teenager and his girlfriend had a brief altercation with two males at the Guildford Mall in Surrey before they got on a bus.   

Charges approved in Guildford stabbing

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says
British Columbia's chief coroner says 2,511 people died of suspected illicit drug poisoning last year, the highest annual toll ever recorded. Close to 14,000 people have died since the province declared a public health emergency in April 2016, Lisa Lapointe told a news conference on Wednesday.

Record number of people died from illicit drugs in B.C. last year, coroner says

Union warns of 72-hour Metro Vancouver bus strike if deal isn't reached

Union warns of 72-hour Metro Vancouver bus strike if deal isn't reached
The union representing transit supervisors for Coast Mountain Bus Company says it will launch a new 72-hour strike stopping Metro Vancouver buses from operating if a tentative deal isn't reached by next week.  

Union warns of 72-hour Metro Vancouver bus strike if deal isn't reached