Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2024 02:42 PM
  • Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

The union representing Canada Post workers says the Crown corporation has been laying off striking employees as the labour action by more than 55,000 workers approaches the two-week mark. 

In a notice to members posted Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers called the layoffs a "scare tactic" and said it's looking into the situation.

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu confirmed the layoffs, saying they are temporary.

She said the organization has informed some employees that the collective agreements are no longer in effect and their conditions of employment have now changed, as per the CanadaLabour Code — referring to the section of the code that covers lockout notices. 

"Our business has been significantly impacted leading up to and throughout this labour disruption. We have taken steps to adjust our operations," Liu said. 

Neither the union nor Canada Post provided details on the extent of the layoffs.

Earlier in November, Canada Post issued a lockout notice but said it didn't intend to lock out employees, instead saying the notice would allow the company to make changes to its operations in order to respond to the effects of a strike. 

Labour experts said the layoffs by Canada Post are an unusual move. 

"Given that the workers aren't being paid while they're on strike, it's unclear why they're doing it," said labour and employment lawyer Deborah Hudson. 

Hudson said the Canada Labour Code protects workers from being laid off because of their participation in a strike. 

"If the temporary layoffs continue, they will for sure result in legal action by the union," she said, such as grievances or an unfair labour practice complaint. 

In that case, Canada Post will have to prove that it laid off workers for another reason, she said. 

On its face, Canada Post appears to be violating that section of the labour code, said David J. Doorey, a professor of labour and employment law at York University, in an email. 

"Therefore, if CUPW challenges the layoffs, Canada Post will need strong evidence to persuade the labour board that the layoffs are entirely unrelated to the fact that the workers went on strike. It would be interesting to hear that argument," he said. 

Liu said the strike has essentially shut down Canada Post's operations until further notice. The fact that the collective agreements are not currently in effect "enables Canada Post to adjust its operations based on its operational realities and business needs," she said. 

Hudson said the organization could be doing the layoffs in anticipation of the end of the strike, when they may be expecting significantly lower volumes in the short term as other carriers have shouldered Black Friday deliveries. 

"Maybe they're anticipating a drop of workload ahead of time," she said. 

The question is, "Are they able to prove that that justifies these temporary layoffs or not?" 

Striking workers have a legal right to return to their jobs when the strike ends, said Doorey, "unless those jobs no longer exist."

"It may be that a lack of work at that point results in some employees being laid-off, at least temporarily, but that is just hypothetical at this point," he said. 

Canada Post has said it's missed out on delivering millions of parcels due to the strike. 

A key issue in bargaining has been a push to expand parcel deliveries into the weekend, but the union and Canada Post are at odds over how to make it work. 

Canada Post has been struggling to compete with other delivery providers and posted a $315-million loss before tax in its third quarter, and has pitched weekend deliveries as a way to boost revenue. 

There's no end in sight for the strike as the federal labour minister said Wednesday that a mediator appointed by Ottawa was getting nowhere, with the sides too far apart on critical issues. The mediation talks were temporarily suspended — and the government doesn't plan to intervene.

Steven MacKinnon said he had summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. However, he said a directive for binding arbitration is "not in the cards." 

In a statement Thursday, spokesman Phil Rogers said CanadaPost is "considering its options to move negotiations forward with greater urgency and remains committed to negotiating new collective agreements."

Meanwhile, union president Jan Simpson said in a statement Wednesday that CUPW is fighting to protect good full-time jobs. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
A man has been arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle after driving through a police traffic stop in Surrey. Surrey R-C-M-P say they responded on January 3rd to reports of a suspected impaired driver near the 13-thousand-900 block of Fraser Highway.    

Man arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery
Vancouver police have arrested a man suspected of a violent robbery after he threatened to jump into False Creek. Police say officers were called to a business near West 3rd Avenue and Fir Street at around 10:30 yesterday morning for a suspect armed with bear spray and a samurai sword.    

Arrest in violent Vancouver robbery

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm
Vancouver International Airport is recommending travellers plan ahead and check their flight status as Environment Canada forecasts snow starting this morning. The airport authority says it anticipates fewer planes will arrive and depart from the airport due to the weather.    

YVR airport says passengers need to check flight status amid snowstorm

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak
The mayor of Delta, B.C., is calling the lack of communication from FortisBC "an egregious oversight" after the utility didn't notify the public for more than four hours after a leak at a renewable gas plant. George Harvie says on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that it was unacceptable for Delta residents and businesses to be "left in the dark" after a leak at a plant in Ladner.

Mayor of Delta, B.C., condemns lack of notification from FortisBC on odorous gas leak

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.
All public schools in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley have been closed today, as heavy snow falls across a wide swath of southern British Columbia. Some universities and colleges in the Lower Mainland have also cancelled in-person classes, including the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University and the B.C. Institute of Technology.    

Snow shuts Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley schools as alerts blanket southern B.C.

Funding for mental health facility

Funding for mental health facility
The provincial government is providing 675-thousand-dollars toward a proposed centre in northern B-C that would provide mental-health and addictions services for children for children and youth. Premier David Eby says on a visit to Prince George that young people in northern B-C, especially Indigenous youth, should be able to get the care they need close to home.  

Funding for mental health facility