Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2024 02:42 PM
  • Canada Post temporarily laying off striking workers, union says

The union representing Canada Post workers says the Crown corporation has been laying off striking employees as the labour action by more than 55,000 workers approaches the two-week mark. 

In a notice to members posted Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers called the layoffs a "scare tactic" and said it's looking into the situation.

Canada Post spokeswoman Lisa Liu confirmed the layoffs, saying they are temporary.

She said the organization has informed some employees that the collective agreements are no longer in effect and their conditions of employment have now changed, as per the CanadaLabour Code — referring to the section of the code that covers lockout notices. 

"Our business has been significantly impacted leading up to and throughout this labour disruption. We have taken steps to adjust our operations," Liu said. 

Neither the union nor Canada Post provided details on the extent of the layoffs.

Earlier in November, Canada Post issued a lockout notice but said it didn't intend to lock out employees, instead saying the notice would allow the company to make changes to its operations in order to respond to the effects of a strike. 

Labour experts said the layoffs by Canada Post are an unusual move. 

"Given that the workers aren't being paid while they're on strike, it's unclear why they're doing it," said labour and employment lawyer Deborah Hudson. 

Hudson said the Canada Labour Code protects workers from being laid off because of their participation in a strike. 

"If the temporary layoffs continue, they will for sure result in legal action by the union," she said, such as grievances or an unfair labour practice complaint. 

In that case, Canada Post will have to prove that it laid off workers for another reason, she said. 

On its face, Canada Post appears to be violating that section of the labour code, said David J. Doorey, a professor of labour and employment law at York University, in an email. 

"Therefore, if CUPW challenges the layoffs, Canada Post will need strong evidence to persuade the labour board that the layoffs are entirely unrelated to the fact that the workers went on strike. It would be interesting to hear that argument," he said. 

Liu said the strike has essentially shut down Canada Post's operations until further notice. The fact that the collective agreements are not currently in effect "enables Canada Post to adjust its operations based on its operational realities and business needs," she said. 

Hudson said the organization could be doing the layoffs in anticipation of the end of the strike, when they may be expecting significantly lower volumes in the short term as other carriers have shouldered Black Friday deliveries. 

"Maybe they're anticipating a drop of workload ahead of time," she said. 

The question is, "Are they able to prove that that justifies these temporary layoffs or not?" 

Striking workers have a legal right to return to their jobs when the strike ends, said Doorey, "unless those jobs no longer exist."

"It may be that a lack of work at that point results in some employees being laid-off, at least temporarily, but that is just hypothetical at this point," he said. 

Canada Post has said it's missed out on delivering millions of parcels due to the strike. 

A key issue in bargaining has been a push to expand parcel deliveries into the weekend, but the union and Canada Post are at odds over how to make it work. 

Canada Post has been struggling to compete with other delivery providers and posted a $315-million loss before tax in its third quarter, and has pitched weekend deliveries as a way to boost revenue. 

There's no end in sight for the strike as the federal labour minister said Wednesday that a mediator appointed by Ottawa was getting nowhere, with the sides too far apart on critical issues. The mediation talks were temporarily suspended — and the government doesn't plan to intervene.

Steven MacKinnon said he had summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. However, he said a directive for binding arbitration is "not in the cards." 

In a statement Thursday, spokesman Phil Rogers said CanadaPost is "considering its options to move negotiations forward with greater urgency and remains committed to negotiating new collective agreements."

Meanwhile, union president Jan Simpson said in a statement Wednesday that CUPW is fighting to protect good full-time jobs. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert
Police in Prince Rupert say three people have been arrested in a series of searches that turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs in the city. Mounties say police executed multiple search warrants on September 6th on homes on  Second Avenue West and Ninth Avenue East, as well as a vessel tied up at Atlin Terminal.

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge
Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P say the community is facing an ongoing extortion scam that has triggered five reports to police in three days. Police say scammers are contacting residents with claims of having compromising photos and videos of the victim.

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey
British Columbia's independent police watchdog has been notified after a women was shot and killed by police in Surrey. RCMP say in happened Thursday when police were called to a disturbance at a home at about 4:40 a.m.

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition
R-C-M-P and the Surrey Police Service are set to keep working alongside each other, even after the takeover date by the municipal police force. The S-P-S is slated to take jurisdiction of Surrey on November 29th, but says the R-C-M-P will continue to operate in the area and help with transition support. 

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing
Surrey R-C-M-P say one youth has been charged following a stabbing attack on two men earlier this month. Police say on September 11th, officers responded to calls of a fight on 130-A Street.

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing