Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Nov, 2024 11:20 AM
  • Canada Post, union, still disagree over weekend delivery following weekend talks

Canada Post and the union representing its workers are commenting on how weekend talks for a new contract went, with the employer calling them less productive than they'd hoped and the union claiming their employer is focused on flexibility to deliver parcels at the lowest possible cost.

The Crown corporation says in a news release late Monday that neither side has provided the minimum 72-hour notice of their intent to start a labour disruption, but the Canadian Union of Postal Workers repeated a threat on its website that it "won’t shy away from taking the next step" if there is no real movement at the bargaining table.

The issue of parcel delivery seven days a week was referenced in both statements, with Canada Post saying significant change is required to prevent if from falling behind in the delivery market.

The union's statement says its priority is ensuring weekend delivery does not compromise their regular, full-time routes on weekdays, and it says it isn't satisfied Canada Post's plan will accomplish that.

It says its negotiators also focused on improvements to a short-term disability plan.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers could have been in a legal strike position as of Sunday.

"The threat of a strike during the holiday shipping season has already had a serious effect on our business, which has impacted volumes and revenue and will further deteriorate our financial situation," Canada Post said in its statement Monday.

"To date, the union has been either resistant to change or has required serious constraints on our flexible delivery proposals, which would negate any potential benefits of the change. We remain hopeful that further discussions will afford a breakthrough, but urgency is now required."

The union's statement said its negotiators remain at the table and that the negotiations committee appreciates "the tremendous amount of support from members."

"Your encouragement has not gone unnoticed," it said.

Federal Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon met last Thursday with the union and Canada Post management to encourage them to reach a negotiated settlement.

The union announced last week its members had voted overwhelmingly to support a strike if a deal could not be reached at the bargaining table

Canada Post has said operations are continuing as normal.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes
British Columbia's seniors advocate is calling for the enforcement of tenancy laws to protect residents of retirement homes who he says face illegal rent increases and evictions. Dan Levitt says in a new report that some retirement homes claim the Residential Tenancy Act does not apply to their residents, or to mandatory fees for services including meals and housekeeping.

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract
The union representing Canada's border workers says members have voted 91 per cent in favour of a new collective agreement. More than 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency workers were planning job action in June but the strike was averted when a tentative agreement was reached with the federal government.

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30
Huberman is the longest serving President and CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade, having served for 18 years – unprecedented in the chamber of commerce/board of trade industry. During her 31 years with the organization, having served in a variety of roles, she has built the organization up from a struggling entity into one of the largest organizations of its kind in Canada.

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election
Three provincial New Democrat ministers have announced they won't seek re-election in British Columbia's fall vote. Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming were all first elected in 2005 and have served five terms in the legislature, but say they will not stand on Oct. 19.

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog
The parliamentary budget officer estimates that staffing up the new regulators in the Liberals' Online Harms Act will cost around $200 million over five years.  The federal government wants to establish a Digital Safety Commission to regulate social-media companies and force them to limit harmful content online. 

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.
Infrastructure Canada says $19 million in upgrades to Vancouver's Science World will increase the facility's lifespan and reduce its energy consumption by more than 40 per cent. The federal government says the money will go toward repairing Science World's geodesic dome, the building envelope, and fixes to its heating, electrical and ventilation systems. 

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.