Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth
Health and Addictions Minister Ya'ara Saks is looking for pitches to help young Canadians who are struggling with their mental health. The federal government plans to distribute $500 million for projects that help young people struggling to afford private mental health care services.

Ottawa seeks project pitches to for new mental health fund aimed at youth

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online
Prince Harry is in Vancouver for the launch of a campaign to raise awareness of the Invictus Games among children and youth, one day after surprising Canadian football fans by appearing at the Grey Cup in the city. The prince visited Vancouver-area elementary and high school students at Seaforth Armoury.

Prince Harry in Vancouver as Invictus Games school program launches online

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet
There's been a near total shakeup of British Columbia's government cabinet, with few ministers retaining their jobs and some longtime backbenchers and newly elected members moving in. 

A list of members of B.C. Premier David Eby's new cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet
A bus carrying members of Premier David Eby's new cabinet has arrived at Government House in Victoria, with passengers including both new and familiar faces. Among newly elected members of the NDP caucus on the bus were former broadcaster Randene Neill and Vancouver Police Department veteran Terry Yung, while cabinet veterans including Mike Farnworth, Adrian Dix and Ravi Kahlon, also walked off the bus.

New and familiar faces on the bus as Eby introduces B.C. NDP cabinet

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges
An Ottawa man is pleading not guilty to charges of terrorism and hate-speech related to the promotion of a far-right group. RCMP charged Patrick Gordon Macdonald in July 2023, alleging he took part in activities of a listed terrorist organization.

Man police linked to neo-Nazi group pleads not guilty to terrorism charges

Indecent act in Richmond

Indecent act in Richmond
Police are looking for a man who followed a woman who was walking in Richmond and then exposed his genitals to her.  They say it happened in the area of Number 3  Road and Goldstream Drive back on November 6th. 

Indecent act in Richmond