Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike
The Liberal government in Ottawa is signalling it's not currently planning to intervene to end the Canada Post strike, even though the two sides appear to be far apart and the strike is hitting at the busiest time of year for the postal service. Some 55,000 workers hit the picket lines across Canada on Friday, after contract negotiations with their employer blew past the 72-hour strike deadline set by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison
The Correctional Service Canada says an inmate was brought to an outside hospital after being assaulted at a maximum-security prison in Agassiz. It says in a news release that the attack happened last Friday.

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific
Ottawa has concluded negotiations for a trade deal with Indonesia and is proposing nuclear-energy collaboration with Southeast Asian leaders. The moves are a show of faith for multilateralism as the re-election of Donald Trump in the United States is raising fears of further strain in global co-operation on trade and the environment.

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content
The CRTC is looking at how to redefine Canadian content, launching a new consultation with plans to hold a public hearing in the spring. That includes asking questions about whether artificial intelligence-created video can be considered Cancon.

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is calling for more federal funding after storms in B-C last month caused more than 110-million dollars in damage.  Intense rainfall and wind brought on by an atmospheric river resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding roads, parking garages and basements in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Metro Vancouver and Surrey.

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Man charged in series of robberies

Man charged in series of robberies
Mounties in Surrey say a man has been charged with nine offences, including theft and disguise with intent after a series of robberies in the city.  They say officers responded to a report of a jewelry store theft on October 7th, where a suspect stole about 27-thousand dollars worth of goods. 

Man charged in series of robberies