Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report
Seniors 65 years and older are more likely to have access to a family doctor or nurse practitioner than younger adults between 18 and 34, and access to primary care is highest in Ontario and lowest in Nunavut, the CIHI report released Thursday says.  

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies
A man has been sentenced to more than two years in prison as well as receiving a lifetime firearms ban after pleading guilty to multiple robberies in the Lower Mainland. Surrey Mounties say Jaden Kahnapace pleaded guilty earlier this year to three robberies in 2021 that all happened within the span of two weeks.

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton
Mounties in Penticton say a search warrant has led to the seizure of several guns as well as cash and suspected illicit drugs. R-C-M-P say it also resulted in the arrests of four people linked to the home in the one-thousand-block of Government Street.

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot
The federal government is slashing immigration targets as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau admits the government did not get the balance right following the COVID-19 pandemic. The government had targeted bringing in 500,000 new permanent residents in both 2025 and 2026.

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot

Groups say Jewish students, staff at University of B.C. face hostile environment

Groups say Jewish students, staff at University of B.C. face hostile environment
A coalition of Jewish organizations says it is "deeply alarmed" by a rising tide of antisemitism at the University of British Columbia in recent weeks.  A joint statement sent out by six groups, including the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver and Canadian Jewish Advocacy, says Jewish staff, students and faculty members at the university have faced "an increasingly hostile environment" since the start of the academic year. 

Groups say Jewish students, staff at University of B.C. face hostile environment

Vancouver begins process of closing homeless encampment at Crab Park

Vancouver begins process of closing homeless encampment at Crab Park
Vancouver's park board says it has begun the process of closing the homeless encampment that has been in place at a local park since 2021. The park board says it is talking directly with each of the seven people still in the camp located in the designated area at Crab Park, with the goal of closing the encampment and returning the area to "general park use" by Nov. 7.

Vancouver begins process of closing homeless encampment at Crab Park