Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman chased at transit station

Woman chased at transit station
A suspect has been arrested in Richmond after reports of an armed man chasing a woman at a transit station. Mounties say it happened over the weekend, when witnesses told police that a man carrying a knife got off a train and fell down an escalator.

Woman chased at transit station

2 arrested in string of break-ins

2 arrested in string of break-ins
Port Moody police say they have arrested two men in a string of vehicle break-ins in the city. Police say officers received a report over the weekend of two suspects attempting to break into parked cars in the Heritage Mountain neighbourhood.

2 arrested in string of break-ins

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Man dead after collision with semi-truck
Police say a man is dead after his pickup collided with a semi-truck near Quesnel. Mounties say the crash happened on November 29th just before 4:30 p-m on Highway 97 north of the community.

Man dead after collision with semi-truck

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold
Canada Post says it's waiting for a response from the union representing some 55,000 striking workers after it offered a new framework for negotiations over the weekend.  The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has said its negotiators are reviewing the proposal.

Negotiations between Canada Post, union still on hold

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister
The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped. The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general
The auditor general says the small business loan program the federal government rolled out during the COVID-19 pandemic wasn’t managed in a cost-effective way. Auditor general Karen Hogan says the Canada Emergency Business Account program wasn’t managed with “due regard for value for money.”

Pandemic business loan program lacked ‘value for money’: auditor general